Lauren Delaney--NW

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11506&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
SIDE

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11507&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
BACK

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The motion this pitcher is using is called a "Forward Dip" and has been considered "Beyond unsafe" for several years.

Why is it being posted on this site?:eek:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Delaney is a very successful D1 pitcher. Delaney holds the Northwestern single-season records for wins (37), games (51), complete games (43) and innings pitched (321.0) She had 461 Ks in 2008. In 2008, She was Big Ten Pitcher of the Year, First-team NFCA All-Region. In 2009, she is 28-10, with 299 Ks.

I'm not saying anything about her form. It does seem to have a lot of wasted energy, but she has done very well as a pitcher.

What is wrong with the forward dip?

Thanks,

Ray

Looks like a very good screwball rise. Her release point is under her shoulder and tight to the thigh. Don't see any problems with this.
The forward bend to start the motion my get a little tiring but it is a matter of style and not a big issue to me.
Mechanically she is very fluid.
Rick

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Forward dip

The 'Forward dip' (the exact form she is using) was identified by several ortho surgeons as the cause of 'Spinal Stress Fractures in the Sacrum Spine area'.

It was ALL OVER the newspapers 7 or 8 years ago. There were several diagnosed in Pennsylvania and it was found they all went to the same instructor, made the news there big time.

I can guarantee you she hurts when the game is over.

Hal

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Don't see what's so different about her dip when comparing it to Monica Abbott's? Abbott starts her sequence (getting the signal) bent over while Delaney does hers as part of the drive forward. Both straighten up in the first quadrant of the arm circle.
Jim

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Don't see what's so different about her dip when comparing it to Monica Abbott's? Abbott starts her sequence (getting the signal) bent over while Delaney does hers as part of the drive forward. Both straighten up in the first quadrant of the arm circle.
Jim

"Delaney does hers as part of the drive forward"

You hit the nail on the head. It IS the driving forward as they sstraighten back up that causes the stress to the lumbar spine. The sad part is, it is diagnosed as other things unless they do a specific test to check for the spinal stress fractures.

May 12, 2008
I suspect if they went to one foot on the rubber rules the pitchers would have a lot less stress on their bodies. The men's clips I've watched, specifically White, looked much smoother.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Earlier in the season, Delaney walked 16 during a game. During the playoffs, she walked 11 against Texas State (?). NW got 8-runned.

It seems that Delaney is having control problems. NW pitches her almost every game. using this particular style, she could be really hurting.

Ray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802