Launch position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The advantage is that the hitter has now switched to a style that they never/rarely practice, their timing will by definition be off, they have shown they are afraid, and they will now be swinging with their arms so the pitcher has no fear of a home run.

Sep 17, 2009
I am just suggesting with 2 strikes and as a defensive move not to strike out, presetting at launch may work. With pitchers throwing harder and bats with extreme pop it doesn't take much to line one up the middle.

A little bit of a different take: I used to hate the idea of neck slot or launch preset swings as a training step, but I've come to appreciate that really understanding a more static stretch/launch position can be a really great training aid *followed* by learning how to flow into that same position. I see a bunch of instructors I respect using this kind of approach these days.

Apr 12, 2016
I am just suggesting with 2 strikes and as a defensive move not to strike out, presetting at launch may work. With pitchers throwing harder and bats with extreme pop it doesn't take much to line one up the middle.

I don't understand why this would be recommended when the batter has two strikes but not when they have fewer strikes.

May 12, 2016
The advantage is that the hitter has now switched to a style that they never/rarely practice, their timing will by definition be off, they have shown they are afraid, and they will now be swinging with their arms so the pitcher has no fear of a home run.
But some batters do this, some go to a no stride approach with 2 strikes against, heck some major leaguers do it from time to time. And I would assume that in a game wouldn't be the first time they practiced this situation. It wouldn't be something that they rarely/never practiced, that would be insane.... It would be a situation that they planed for

I thought you were going to have a more technical approach like throwing something off speed with a little more spin.. something to mess with their timing and ability to adjust from a pre-load position

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
iu

My point is the pitcher doesn't have to change her game at all on 2 strikes. Here is an example baseball chart that shows how dramatic this is.

BA sinks from 3s to below 2s for 2 strike counts. SLG goes from 5s-8s, to less than 3, which proves that most are just trying to poke the ball.

The pitcher needs to do nothing different - that's the point. Of course some hitters change their stance, but it hardly ever works out.
Hitters are stupid. They should keep the same approach on 2 strikes.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
If you really think a stride doesn't make sense and is harder that is fine but you are still going to want some kind of motion. Watch Laurens swing she basically uses a heel drop. Also reference my previous post with the stills. Also watch how at :22 she does not even swing but still is in that launch position.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
iu

My point is the pitcher doesn't have to change her game at all on 2 strikes. Here is an example baseball chart that shows how dramatic this is.

BA sinks from 3s to below 2s for 2 strike counts. SLG goes from 5s-8s, to less than 3, which proves that most are just trying to poke the ball.

The pitcher needs to do nothing different - that's the point. Of course some hitters change their stance, but it hardly ever works out.
Hitters are stupid. They should keep the same approach on 2 strikes.

Years ago, some hitters would choke up with 2 strikes. In fact I remember an interview with Pete Rose in which he talked about that. He was with the Phillies at the time.

Pitcher's are definitely at an advantage when they are ahead in the count. There is no question about that. But much of that is due to the hitter's approach as much as anything else. Many hitters will isolate a part of the zone, or look for a specific pitch early in the count. But once they get two strikes, they are forced to cover the entire plate. When ahead, a pitcher can use this to their advantage by trying to get the hitter to extend too much (swinging at a pitch off the plate or out of the zone).

Note: Even a poor hitter can hit an inside fastball when they are expecting an inside fastball. Few can hit an outside curve if they are sitting fastball in.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
When ahead, a pitcher can use this to their advantage by trying to get the hitter to extend too much (swinging at a pitch off the plate or out of the zone).

I am going to speak only of my son's baseball pitching experience here, but I studied this carefully during his HS and college, and it seemed to me that the majority of time when a pitcher tried to throw off the plate on 0-2 they ended up walking the kid. This strategy worked at 12U but didn't work well after that. I just never saw that many kids swing at pitches off the plate. Many many times, then the pitcher would have a hard time throwing a strike for a pitch or two, then they would be frazzled because they let it get to 3-2.

Plus the pitch count creeps up over a full game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812