Launch position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2016
The DFP experts have not convinced me of the advantages of dynamically arriving at a launch position. I understand that professional hitters do this, but do not know why they do this.

Sep 17, 2009
The DFP experts have not convinced me of the advantages of dynamically arriving at a launch position. I understand that professional hitters do this, but do not know why they do this.
I mentioned timing and adjustments earlier. Let me add tempo, which is a personal thing that creates a comfortable environment to launch a timed, sequenced, aggressive movement and still be in control. Most athletes play with some tempo. Think about a golfer on the tee, basketball player at the free throw line, quarterback after his drop-back.

Let me turn it around. Name or show an athlete that executes their skill from a static position. Tks.

Jun 8, 2016
I mentioned timing and adjustments earlier. Let me add tempo, which is a personal thing that creates a comfortable environment to launch a timed, sequenced, aggressive movement and still be in control. Most athletes play with some tempo. Think about a golfer on the tee, basketball player at the free throw line, quarterback after his drop-back.

Let me turn it around. Name or show an athlete that executes their skill from a static position. Tks.
He doesn't want an answer..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think it's an interesting question. Not sure if/why it would be asked with an agenda. But who knows.

I asked the same question at BBD several months ago. The response... crickets... The reason I asked the question then is because some posters were implying that the things that occur prior to the launch position and after the launch position were immaterial. While I believe there are a number of style components that occur prior to launch, I still think the movements are important. Hitters may use different styles to get there, but they may also use movements that prevent them from getting there at all. Likewise, it is possible to be in a good launch position, and still have issues downstream. Yes, getting to a good launch position will help, but it isn't everything. I have no idea what dmx1's motives are for the question.

To further on your examples, think about a person trying to jump as high as they can. What is more effective? Lowering yourself into a squatted position, freezing there for a few seconds, and then trying to jump? Or lowering yourself into a squatted position and instantly pushing off the ground? Which method will allow you to jump higher? I believe it to be the second, and I feel the same way about hitting. I would rather continue through the swing dynamically then to freeze at any one spot and then try to restart.

Jun 8, 2016
I asked the same question at BBD several months ago. The response... crickets... The reason I asked the question then is because some posters were implying that the things that occur prior to the launch position and after the launch position were immaterial. While I believe there are a number of style components that occur prior to launch, I still think the movements are important. Hitters may use different styles to get there, but they may also use movements that prevent them from getting there at all. Likewise, it is possible to be in a good launch position, and still have issues downstream. Yes, getting to a good launch position will help, but it isn't everything. I have no idea what dmx1's motives are for the question.

To further on your examples, think about a person trying to jump as high as they can. What is more effective? Lowering yourself into a squatted position, freezing there for a few seconds, and then trying to jump? Or lowering yourself into a squatted position and instantly pushing off the ground? Which method will allow you to jump higher? I believe it to be the second, and I feel the same way about hitting. I would rather continue through the swing dynamically then to freeze at any one spot and then try to restart.
The question is certainly interesting and I agree with your assessment. As I said before the way muscles contract isn't like a rubber band..muscles are not elastic...there is a rate dependency to how they produce force. My comment regarding DMX1 was with regards to the tone of his first sentence post #22...but perhaps I am just getting cynical in my old age.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The question is certainly interesting and I agree with your assessment. As I said before the way muscles contract isn't like a rubber band..muscles are not elastic...there is a rate dependency to how they produce force. My comment regarding DMX1 was with regards to the tone of his first sentence post #22...but perhaps I am just getting cynical in my old age.

Yes, I agree with that assessment as well. He/She is referring to "DFP Experts", so I guess that is my cue to stay out of the thread ;) Carry on...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am just suggesting with 2 strikes and as a defensive move not to strike out, presetting at launch may work. With pitchers throwing harder and bats with extreme pop it doesn't take much to line one up the middle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812