Launch position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If you're talking about using your stance to pre-coil and set your hands, then, many do this, or partially do this. It probably depends on what you feel comfortable doing.

If you're talking about why do people stride:
It's because the straightening back leg rotates the back knee (the smaller radius the better), which assists or drives the rear hip down/around, which helps the back elbow (and therefore moves the bat head early) come down/around. Without a stride, this process would probably not generate the same force.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why don't hitters start in their launch position and swing from there?

I have asked this identical question on two different forums, and still have not received an answer. @efastball provides a good explanation. But to simplify, I don't think it is just a case of being in the right "launch position". It's how you get there, and more importantly, when you get there. My goal is to create stretch within the system that is instantaneously used at launch. Timed with the ball.

Sep 29, 2014
A lot of it is feel, sequence and rhythm but mostly practical try getting in a set position front foot out, heel down, completely coiled, hands back, completely ready to launch, now hold that position for 5-10 seconds if you don't start to feel it stretching a little and your hands don't shake you aren't doing it right, its not really meant to be a relaxed position that you can hold it is a momentary position you hold for literally a fraction of a second. Now if your want to position everything correctly and be relaxed as the ball comes your would have to engage all your muscles again in theory without moving because you are starting from the right position, its just not practical

Now the degree to which you start almost in that position can vary, many people start hands back in a coil and feet where they are going to stay and as the ball comes they lift their heel, coil just a little more, reach their hands back just a little more and have it timed so they are in launch at the right moment. Other stand completely relax and straight and then begin a large stride coil and reach back sequence.

Jun 8, 2016
This is just a guess but muscles don't behave like elastic bands. There is a time-dependent aspect to them with respect to how they fire and produce force...just a guess though.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I saw two girls (pgf 12u) set up at launch when they had 2 strikes and both successfully hit line drives up the middle for base hits. I ask about this before and FFS told me I was crazy. I think it might be a good idea. lot better than setting up bunt/ pull back with 2 strikes.

Nov 18, 2015
Do you consider launch position as something different than what a no-stride hitter would use?

Sep 29, 2014
Do you consider launch position as something different than what a no-stride hitter would use?
Yes launch is the instant before the beginning of the back half (foot, leg and hips) as it initiates the swing. Lauren below basically just uses a heel drop; Josh uses a monster leg kick but at launch they look very similar, the third frame is what I consider launch position, from Laurens sequence look at frame two and three her front foot doesn't move she just lifts her heel and drops it but the positions are much different you can tell in frame to she kinda looks ready but you can just see the difference in the torque and load in frame three versus frame two.

Attachments

• six frame both j.jpg
    six frame both j.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
There's very few if any things we do athletically from a static position.

That said, the challenge is two: 1) if no-striding, to not be TRULY static but to have under-the-hood athletic actions (ie, Pujols), a huge challenge for a young hitter and why I don't advocate no-striding, it's harder than it looks to really do it right, or 2) if striding, not using that movement and momentum as your engine but creating stretch and resistance BENEATH the movement that is the true driver of your launch and source of your power.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
There's very few if any things we do athletically from a static position.

That said, the challenge is two: 1) if no-striding, to not be TRULY static but to have under-the-hood athletic actions (ie, Pujols), a huge challenge for a young hitter and why I don't advocate no-striding, it's harder that it looks to really do it right, or 2) if striding, not using that movement and momentum as your engine but creating stretch and resistance BENEATH the movement that is the true driver of your launch and source of your power.

I agree 100%

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812