Latest swings from long time DFP member

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
is there an ingrained, conscious cue in effect to "finish high"?

I see a purposeful and forced high finish, that obviously has no bearing at all on the swing into and at contact,
the forced high finish happens way after the ball is already gone.

But maybe this cue helps optimize something else upstream in the swing?

Her lower-body action is very nice! Wish DD could get somewhere close to this...

Great question. No reason for it and I think it may be because of something upstream. I believe she is trying to create extension at the finish. If you notice she does not have the very common high level Fastpitch finish after contact where the top arm releases to straight extension. In fact, sometimes the top arm is trapped to her side on inside pitches but in any event is always bent well past contact and works around. She is trying to release the barrel. Several of these were over the fence but somethings not quite right with that top arm. (Over the summer she worked on being in good position at toe touch, bat position at launch, and staying in her coil and backside...I think she has improved on all of these). Thoughts on that top hand not naturally extending?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Pretty nice swings. Correct me if I’m wrong, but she was taught TTB right? A few observations.. contact point is a bit to deep on some pitches and the barrel works away from the head on the initial move to the ball. A bit longer path than need be. Still a nice swing by an athletic kid. Good job.

Amen to these observations. Thoughts on cues?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Amen to these observations. Thoughts on cues?

What sticks out to me is the early upper body counter rotation accompanied by the elongating front arm. This traps the hands and forces a cast. Forcing the arms to do more than they should earlier than they should. The upper should load during the positive move pulling the lead shoulder down and in. The hands should ‘relax’ during the initiation of the load.

1603238257830.gif

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What sticks out to me is the early upper body counter rotation accompanied by the elongating front arm. This traps the hands and forces a cast. Forcing the arms to do more than they should earlier than they should. The upper should load during the positive move pulling the lead shoulder down and in. The hands should ‘relax’ during the initiation of the load.

View attachment 19736
I think you are on to something in your observation. OR at least the concept of what is going on. I am going to proceed with caution so we work on the right thing because she really does hit well but I know she can do better and she is open to it

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think you are on to something in your observation. OR at least the concept of what is going on. I am going to proceed with caution so we work on the right thing because she really does hit well but I know she can do better and she is open to it

for sure. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If you do make the changes she will become a bit more effortless and she will be able to adjust her release out front as well as deep a bit more,

Coil of the shoulders happens during the forward move.. notice how the front arm doesn’t straighten til barrel launch? He doesn’t leverage his upper body during swing launch. he keeps the hands free to be adjustable.

1603286231979.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Once the load of the sequence is correct, I would do a hands drill. Basically the Braun drill learning to keep the barrel up and behind the hands for a proper barrel release. Then I would work front toss from a constraint of stance to learn to control the barrel path and release for different locations. Closed, open, neutral. Hitting balls to the middle of the field.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Once the load of the sequence is correct, I would do a hands drill. Basically the Braun drill learning to keep the barrel up and behind the hands for a proper barrel release. Then I would work front toss from a constraint of stance to learn to control the barrel path and release for different locations. Closed, open, neutral. Hitting balls to the middle of the field.

That's good input. That is what makes this forum great. Link me to the Braun Drill. Here is a swing we like. What is going on here that leads to that quick barrel turn and nice extension.

Ape comparison.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That's good input. That is what makes this forum great. Link me to the Braun Drill. Here is a swing we like. What is going on here that leads to that quick barrel turn and nice extension.

View attachment 19742

For me her sequence is good. Her hands stay tight to her body. Her front arm stays bent roughly at the same angle as set up. So she stays adjustable. During the gif above she seems to stay connected bc of her sequence. These are things that are missing in your dds sequence. Imo bc of the early CR and active use of the frontal plane. AD loads in the sagittal plane, like most good hitters.

ADs hands seem to start her sequence. But the back leg stabilizing in the ground is what creates it.

What is also good is how her hips and shoulders are roughly at the same angle during her move out. That one was for EFastball(lol).

1603305413989.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802