Latest swings from long time DFP member

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 1, 2014
Here is a nice shot from this weekend. Felt like she got good early barrel turn here

This is really good. The figure 4 drill
I mentioned and finishing down to lead leg knee to ground was based on the first swings you put up. She is coiling well staying down and not popping up out of her legs really well here. See her back leg staying bent and getting good direction with back knee.

Looks a lot better

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
LET'S HAVE A LITTLE FUN. There are many great tips and suggestions that have been giving based on the videos I have posted of my DD's swing. My job is to give her ideas that are actionable while she is away at school. I decided to shoot her a short video explaining one issue many of us are seeing and that is getting her weight out onto the front side. I think it affects swing path for sure so I decided to tackle that with the following video. Of couse when I reviewed it I realized my hitting posture at times was ridiculous but hey, I was focusing on a specific point. Have fun watching...after all we are learning together!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice effort, lhowser. Although you didn't use the same words, what you demonstrated was the difference between shifting back-to-middle vs. back-to-front. I think another component worth noting is the difference in how you used your back in each example - pull vs. push.

EDIT: One of the things I look for in my DD is a line from knee-to-hip-to-shoulder at contact. When things are working right, the line between the 3 points is straight, or possible a slight rearward tilt of the torso. When the torso is tilted forward of the hip, things aren't going well - ground balls and mediocre contact. Video example...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Nice effort, lhowser. Although you didn't use the same words, what you demonstrated was the difference between shifting back-to-middle vs. back-to-front. I think another component worth noting is the difference in how you used your back in each example - pull vs. push.

EDIT: One of the things I look for in my DD is a line from knee-to-hip-to-shoulder at contact. When things are working right, the line between the 3 points is straight, or possible a slight rearward tilt of the torso. When the torso is tilted forward of the hip, things aren't going well - ground balls and mediocre contact. Video example...

I see that. That's a good checkpoint. I will look for that in other good swings and it's absence in not so good swings.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a nice shot from Saturday. Line drive middle/middle oppo vs. a very quick pitcher. I felt she did a better job of not shifting weight forward and had a very nice swing path.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here is a nice shot from Saturday. Line drive middle/middle oppo vs. a very quick pitcher. I felt she did a better job of not shifting weight forward and had a very nice swing path.

Your dd has made significant progress imo. The core is much better the last 2 videos. The sequence is much better as well but...

She does cast the bat though. The head of the bat takes a longer route to the ball basically. Staying long through the zone will be tougher.

You could attack it from a physical barrier type drill. Or you can attack it through maintaining back arm angles in your swing.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Your dd has made significant progress imo. The core is much better the last 2 videos. The sequence is much better as well but...

She does cast the bat though. The head of the bat takes a longer route to the ball basically. Staying long through the zone will be tougher.

You could attack it from a physical barrier type drill. Or you can attack it through maintaining back arm angles in your swing.
I have noticed this as well. On this particular swing, it's almost an anomaly for her that she gets extension (and an adjustment to outside pitch) because a challenge for her has been the rear arm being trapped along the side. I think her progress in the use of her core and where her center of mass stays is helping regarding the arm trap - BUT -
It is, and has been clear that she has a bit of a cast. I am trying to figure out why? She understands TTB and the proper pivot point. It seems to occur in the initial launch. What is your thought? Would a focus on early palm up/palm down help? Am inside the ball emphasis? Thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28