Latest swings from long time DFP member

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
maybe experiment with a bit longer stride? and also get the swing started just after toe touch?
also, sometimes a bit wider starting stance, with knees in slight bend, can help hitters from riding so far forward, and feel a bit of resistance with the front side?

to me, her stride foot is down early, and she absolutely is rocking (or drifting) her whole torso forward as her power source.
Really don't mind the swing waiting until heel drop (as mentioned previously she even has a little reach back) I always say the swing starts somewhere between the two her swing is just at the end of the spectrum which is fine. Only question I had about stride was it looks like she is just a little open but its hard to tell from the angle.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Really don't mind the swing waiting until heel drop (as mentioned previously she even has a little reach back) I always say the swing starts somewhere between the two her swing is just at the end of the spectrum which is fine. Only question I had about stride was it looks like she is just a little open but its hard to tell from the angle.

was thinking if she started her swing at the beginning of the spectrum,
it would force her to power her swing some other way (ie TTB), w/o the available leverage of her front heel firmly down.

Sep 29, 2014
Just for fun but just a little hint I think frame 4 is kind of the key it's really hard to pick out but looks like she is just a little more forward and isn't "staying back". I think if she can find the point of toe touch and either hold her hips in place and continue the little reach back with hands then let heel drop be the cue to release the back and rotate (not go forward) that might work or maybe at toe touch instead of sliding hip or even reach back just let that be the cue to start the back side release again I just think it is finding whatever cue she needs to stop the hips sliding forward and simply release the back hip and rotate not slide then without the slide she should naturally be a little more "back". Again all this is just tinkering around the edges of a great swing but hey those little adjustment sometimes make the difference.

avlvj.png

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Just for fun but just a little hint I think frame 4 is kind of the key it's really hard to pick out but looks like she is just a little more forward and isn't "staying back". I think if she can find the point of toe touch and either hold her hips in place and continue the little reach back with hands then let heel drop be the cue to release the back and rotate (not go forward) that might work or maybe at toe touch instead of sliding hip or even reach back just let that be the cue to start the back side release again I just think it is finding whatever cue she needs to stop the hips sliding forward and simply release the back hip and rotate not slide then without the slide she should naturally be a little more "back". Again all this is just tinkering around the edges of a great swing but hey those little adjustment sometimes make the difference.

View attachment 14870
THANKS...great graphic. We'll use this!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

View attachment 14870
Here are some cuts. She attempted to get a little wider and keep hands back more to create more of a stretch and address critical frame 4 in the pic you posted. While watching the video it became obvious to me that drifting over the back leg in the coil is really messing up her sequence. That is something we will address as noted in the video.

Nov 16, 2017
Here are some cuts. She attempted to get a little wider and keep hands back more to create more of a stretch and address critical frame 4 in the pic you posted. While watching the video it became obvious to me that drifting over the back leg in the coil is really messing up her sequence. That is something we will address as noted in the video.

Looks really good. My .02 cents is to work on more of a downward shoulder angle on her move forward.

Sep 29, 2014
Does she think of her swing in linear versus rotational terms?

In reality the swing should always be 100% rotational, as in we always fully rotate BUT our swing also has to be linear in that we don't just spin in place; what we want her to do is see if she can just take a little of the linear component out of the swing in other wards we don't want to travel so far forward that she is over the front side, the more you travel over the leg the harder it is get best resistance, again the more and more I look at her swing the more there is to like but like mentioned at this level the margins make the difference. Big thing we don't want to happen is some kind of exagresated lean back basically just keep doing what she is doing but instead of drifting forwrd begin rotation.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Does she think of her swing in linear versus rotational terms?

In reality the swing should always be 100% rotational, as in we always fully rotate BUT our swing also has to be linear in that we don't just spin in place; what we want her to do is see if she can just take a little of the linear component out of the swing in other wards we don't want to travel so far forward that she is over the front side, the more you travel over the leg the harder it is get best resistance, again the more and more I look at her swing the more there is to like but like mentioned at this level the margins make the difference. Big thing we don't want to happen is some kind of exagresated lean back basically just keep doing what she is doing but instead of drifting forwrd begin rotation.
Great thoughts/ She actually thinks TTB and rotational...at least that was the foundation we had been working with through about 16y/0. We noticed, however, the back arm (top hand) getting trapped to her side so we started to work with TTB at launch and then finishing long and thus more linear as she reasonably could. And to use her shoulders more like a tilt-a-whirl rather than a merry go round. All of that was primarily upper body stuff.

The lower half focus has been primarily - get into (coil, an inward turn, whatever) into the rear hip, then create separation at toe touch, then rotate into the ball as the heal dropped.

What tends to happen is at heal plant she will drift forward before/as rotation occurs which can create a less than optimal path. The "Nike swish" will occur as she is drifting forward reducing the effectiveness or rotation and potentially creating a bad path.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28