Latest swings from long time DFP member

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Great thoughts/ She actually thinks TTB and rotational...at least that was the foundation we had been working with through about 16y/0. We noticed, however, the back arm (top hand) getting trapped to her side so we started to work with TTB at launch and then finishing long and thus more linear as she reasonably could. And to use her shoulders more like a tilt-a-whirl rather than a merry go round. All of that was primarily upper body stuff.

The lower half focus has been primarily - get into (coil, an inward turn, whatever) into the rear hip, then create separation at toe touch, then rotate into the ball as the heal dropped.

What tends to happen is at heal plant she will drift forward before/as rotation occurs which can create a less than optimal path. The "Nike swish will occur as she is drifting forward reducing the effectiveness or rotation and potentially creating a bad path.
Obviously you understand exactly what is going on hopefully she does too...sounds like it the hard part is to isolate that moment in the swing toe touch to heel drop and get the rotation started without as much glide forward and even more importantly make that small adjustment without impacting the rest of her swing which looks pretty great....good luck and congrats to her she is looking good and I'm sure you are proud of her accomplishments.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Obviously you understand exactly what is going on hopefully she does too...sounds like it the hard part is to isolate that moment in the swing toe touch to heel drop and get the rotation started without as much glide forward and even more importantly make that small adjustment without impacting the rest of her swing which looks pretty great....good luck and congrats to her she is looking good and I'm sure you are proud of her accomplishments.
Thanks. We'll keep the link updated to see how the changes and awareness work. It is amazing how much power you can bleed and solid contact you can compromise with a small but significant technical issue. We always say (she and I) that there is no such thing as a slump (as in a mental, emotional, psychological funk that causes hitting issues). It's caused by repeating a bad physical habit. Change the habit - end the slump.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here are some more swings from today. She is definitely trying to swing from a deeper position. Good shots but I think her drifting over the back knee and breaking it down is still causing that slight lunge and forward push and drift. Mom is the videographer and you can see she has her thoughts! (Ha)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here are some more swings from today. She is definitely trying to swing from a deeper position. Good shots but I think her drifting over the back knee and breaking it down is still causing that slight lunge and forward push and drift. Mom is the videographer and you can see she has her thoughts! (Ha)

Yes she is still drifting as she is trying to swing. Weight shift/head movement shouldn't happen after toe touch/heel plant.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Notice the mass move before the stride goes. This was happening in the first video you posted in this thread. Not in the latest video you posted.

Notice the flexed back knee. He doesn’t start locked out or extended and bend into his negative move. Start with flexion. Whatever she’s comfortable with. Learn how to advance the mass and let the stride support that.

The initial upfront actions aren’t present in your dds pattern. It makes the shift late and unbalanced. The mass or ‘shift’ or ‘repositioning’ of the mass leads in a good sequence. The legs support this.

Consider the mass being the shoulders to the pelvis.

Side note: Hate to keep harping but... His back knee maintains flexion. It’s doesnt create it. Flexion is found during the fixing of the initial stance.

Just what I see. Good luck.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Thanks for the input and discussion. All of the comments have been helpful in analyzing what we would like to work on. Hope others find the discussion helpful.

Here is the clip I have decided we will use as a comparison for my DD's coil vs what we are looking for. Using DiCarlo as the example of what to do. Enjoy -

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Thanks for the input and discussion. All of the comments have been helpful in analyzing what we would like to work on. Hope others find the discussion helpful.

Here is the clip I have decided we will use as a comparison for my DD's coil vs what we are looking for. Using DiCarlo as the example of what to do. Enjoy -

Excellent video to show the difference.

Sep 29, 2014
I think to get her to understand and feel it like we have been talking about think rotational versus linear....as discussed both are required it's not an either or but she needs to be less linear which gives her the slide back and forth look and feel and more rotational which should give her a coil and uncoil/release look and feel. We can discuss tons of little mechanical issues inside this but as a cue I think it might work the rotational would involve loading with more coil and then staying back more and releasing sooner before the drift forward.

Again we are tinkering with a very solid foundation and you don't want her to lose form on everything else she is doing so make incremental changes. Maybe even have her discuss video breakdown with her coach and see what they think although if she is already experiencing success they might just go with the don't mess with something that is working and honsetly I wouldn't blame them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812