Lateral Tilt Too Much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Was just looking at my DD's team mates live swing. She tilts too much. This ends up in not solid contact. The bat ends up clipping the inner half of the ball, of course she has a bad habit of not staying through the ball as well which means a lot of her hits are weak flares (she's just clipping the ball). When performing high tee drill she has no prob of course because there is virtually no tilt. When ball is lower in the zone we see the tilt being over baked. Generally merry go round type swing is the issue in these girls.. I am seeing too much ferris wheel in this girl. Can't post vid, so hopefully this description is sufficient

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Found your thread. I teach adjusting to the low pitch with the legs. Getting a tad more into your legs should be enough to cover the bottom part of the zone.

Teaching a tilt with the upper body over the plate causes spacing issues imo.

For some the nose will be over the toes either during stance or load time naturally. I just wouldn’t teach it to get to pitches, be it low and away low and in or up and in.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Was just looking at my DD's team mates live swing. She tilts too much. This ends up in not solid contact. The bat ends up clipping the inner half of the ball, of course she has a bad habit of not staying through the ball as well which means a lot of her hits are weak flares (she's just clipping the ball). When performing high tee drill she has no prob of course because there is virtually no tilt. When ball is lower in the zone we see the tilt being over baked. Generally merry go round type swing is the issue in these girls.. I am seeing too much ferris wheel in this girl. Can't post vid, so hopefully this description is sufficient
What happens with the back arm? I often see hitters who laterally tilt too much who take that back arm and slam in into their side as they begin the tilting action. The result is a drop in that back shoulder while a severe straightening of the front knee. If you have heard of the "C" in the back, they end up with a pronounced "C" and their head is way back.

May 12, 2016
What happens with the back arm? I often see hitters who laterally tilt too much who take that back arm and slam in into their side as they begin the tilting action. The result is a drop in that back shoulder while a severe straightening of the front knee. If you have heard of the "C" in the back, they end up with a pronounced "C" and their head is way back.

Don't know about the back arm.. but the front knee is severely straightened and early. This causes all kinds of issues with her. She posts up against it which makes her head rise in the swing, she can't rotate her hips completely, and because of that her upper body leaks over her front hip causing a very weird awkward lunging motion. I have no idea how she can hit the ball, but she does. I am wondering if the front leg is causing the severe tilt or the other way around

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

Found your thread. I teach adjusting to the low pitch with the legs. Getting a tad more into your legs should be enough to cover the bottom part of the zone.

Teaching a tilt with the upper body over the plate causes spacing issues imo.

For some the nose will be over the toes either during stance or load time naturally. I just wouldn’t teach it to get to pitches, be it low and away low and in or up and in.

How would you teach getting more into the legs? I think this would solve a couple different issues this kid is having. Her hitting coach has been teaching for years stiff straight front leg.. I think she forces it way too early, very similar to my DD

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How would you teach getting more into the legs? I think this would solve a couple different issues this kid is having. Her hitting coach has been teaching for years stiff straight front leg.. I think she forces it way too early, very similar to my DD

If a kid is too much in their legs at stance.. ask for a taller starting stance. How do you know if a kid is too much in their legs at stance?

If a kid is coming out of their legs during launch and dropping their hands and back shoulder.... they should be getting into their legs at launch.

ask for equal knee flexion the duration of the sequence. It won’t happen the whole way through. But it will up until the swing is launched.

I always start my reasoning with a salute to balance and how it matters in any sport or action and how easily ‘your’ actions erode when balance isn’t present. That’s gets their attention and makes sense to the youngest of minds.

One blended. The other not so much.

As far as learning a ‘light’ front leg.. throw bp to your student low and away in the zone, when they pull off early, ask them to get in their legs more or ‘sink’ into their legs more so they can stay through the ball better. 50 of those and the kid will feel a softer adjustable front leg which will stiffen the right way instead of locking out too early.

Excuse me if I didn’t fully answer your question. My retention is crap today...

May 12, 2016
If a kid is too much in their legs at stance.. ask for a taller starting stance. How do you know if a kid is too much in their legs at stance?

If a kid is coming out of their legs during launch and dropping their hands and back shoulder.... they should be getting into their legs at launch.

ask for equal knee flexion the duration of the sequence. It won’t happen the whole way through. But it will up until the swing is launched.

I always start my reasoning with a salute to balance and how it matters in any sport or action and how easily ‘your’ actions erode when balance isn’t present. That’s gets their attention and makes sense to the youngest of minds.

One blended. The other not so much.

As far as learning a ‘light’ front leg.. throw bp to your student low and away in the zone, when they pull off early, ask them to get in their legs more or ‘sink’ into their legs more so they can stay through the ball better. 50 of those and the kid will feel a softer adjustable front leg which will stiffen the right way instead of locking out too early.

Excuse me if I didn’t fully answer your question. My retention is crap today...

I like this a lot, you answered my question

Aug 20, 2017
Teach the hitter to anchor to the ground at foot plant. Also, watch the hitters butt! If it stays out, she is pretty good into legs, if butt tucks under hips, she is coming out of legs

Jun 8, 2016
How is she moving out? At toe touch is her front shoulder lower than her back shoulder (or at least parallel) or are her shoulders upside down? She might be tilting just fine but if she is launching from a tilted position already it will be an issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K