late swing, 1b steal interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
For all the men in blue on here i have a question. Runner on 1, steal is on. Batter swings after ball is caught by catcher and slows down the catchers movement to throw down to 2. What is the call?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
For all the men in blue on here i have a question. Runner on 1, steal is on. Batter swings after ball is caught by catcher and slows down the catchers movement to throw down to 2. What is the call?

I would have to see it. If I believed the swing was intentionally late for that purpose, INT could be ruled, the batter declared out and the runner returned to 1B.

May 29, 2015
That’s the magic ... have to see it to make a determination. The swing may or may not have interfered ... the catcher may just be slow.

Mar 7, 2016
So for arguments sake a girl holds a bunt over the plate and remains motionless in the box not moving her bat at all, pitch is a ball. Steal is on, is the batter required to move to allow the throw? She is allowed to remain motionless for a ball according to the rules but does she have to move?

May 29, 2015
So for arguments sake a girl holds a bunt over the plate and remains motionless in the box not moving her bat at all, pitch is a ball. Steal is on, is the batter required to move to allow the throw? She is allowed to remain motionless for a ball according to the rules but does she have to move?

What the batter can or cannot do will depend heavily on the rule set and the umpire’s interpretation. I know that seems like a cop-out answer, but it’s the honest answer. I will post more later tonight on the wording a few different rule sets.

Yesterday I had a batter stick the bat out over the plate and not move a muscle when the ball went by. Runner is stealing third, POP! the ball hits the catcher’s mitt, the catcher hops up to throw to third, and then the batter steps out over the plate into the catcher’s throw to third. Easy interference call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Speaking USA, the batter cannot make a motion to interfere and must maintain the natural stance, so actually moving and interfering with the catcher would be the violation.

Yesterday I had a batter stick the bat out over the plate and not move a muscle when the ball went by. Runner is stealing third, POP! the ball hits the catcher’s mitt, the catcher hops up to throw to third, and then the batter steps out over the plate into the catcher’s throw to third. Easy interference call.

Example of what I posted above

Jun 4, 2019
I’ve never been a fan of teaching kids trickery and imo, poor sportsmanship. Play the game the right way and live with the results. I’ve only been involved in softball for about 5 years , but when I see some of the things some of the “less than classy’ coaches do, it makes my skin crawl.

In your example, I would call batter out and runner goes back.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I’ve never been a fan of teaching kids trickery and imo, poor sportsmanship. Play the game the right way and live with the results. I’ve only been involved in softball for about 5 years , but when I see some of the things some of the “less than classy’ coaches do, it makes my skin crawl.

So you have a problem with a curve ball or change up? How about a delayed steal or a hidden ball? And the oldie, but goody, the outfielder calls for a fly with glove over head, at the last second, pulls down the glove and makes a basket catch to throw off the timing of a runner tagging up. :)

This game is older than anyone on this board and if you want to know how the game was supposed to be played, you cannot ignore the past.

Then again, the game in the past didn't have an LBR, just attempting a bunt was not legal and an automatic out and all areas not in fair territory were considered out of play which means any ball missed by F3 that goes into foul territory is a base(s) award. :)

IMO, changes can be great. Something like dumping the LBR would be outstanding, but many people aren't intelligent enough to understand why and that is sad.

May 29, 2015

And now ... for the rest of the story ...

It was the third out and the team’s head coach was pissed (surprisingly at the player, not me). When they got back to the dugout he was giving her a good scolding (not over the line) and asked her why she would do that. She said “Coach (insert the name of the coach that runs their program) taught me to do that.”

That particular coach is notorious for trying to skate the rules, on the field, off the field, everywhere. (I ejected him from a game and the ladies at the admission gate bought me a box of donuts the next morning because they were sick of dealing with him.)

As for MTR’s comment ... I understand your point about the evolution of the game. It can be good and bad. However, there is a difference in trying to outsmart your opponent and trying to outsmart the rulebook.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As for MTR’s comment ... I understand your point about the evolution of the game. It can be good and bad. However, there is a difference in trying to outsmart your opponent and trying to outsmart the rule book.

It is not a point of outsmarting the rule book, but playing within the rules without worrying about umpires massaging them with personal preferences

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802