Late Night Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, got the schedule for practices over the winter, and the coach scheduled 4 indoor practices on a Sunday (school next day) from 9pm-11pm. Now if this was on a weekend I wouldn't have much of a problem with this but on a school night?.....My DD is 16, plays for 18U, but she usually gets up 6:15am for school, and where the practice is, she probably wouldn't get to bed until about midnight. I kind of consider practices ending at 9pm a bit late on school nights, but 11pm certainly seems a bit much. Anyone dealt with this?

Feb 3, 2016
Strange to have it that late for sure. I've wondered if having a late practice would really push a players concentration and help them prepare for an enviable late Saturday or Sunday game. With all that being said it's only 4.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm thinking the coach was late to the party when booking and if he/she was forced to take that time slot if they wanted weekly practice times. That said, it's all conjecture at this point. I would recommend going to the coach, ask them why, share your concerns and if they have what you may feel as a legitimate reason, come to some type of compromise.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well, got the schedule for practices over the winter, and the coach scheduled 4 indoor practices on a Sunday (school next day) from 9pm-11pm. Now if this was on a weekend I wouldn't have much of a problem with this but on a school night?.....My DD is 16, plays for 18U, but she usually gets up 6:15am for school, and where the practice is, she probably wouldn't get to bed until about midnight. I kind of consider practices ending at 9pm a bit late on school nights, but 11pm certainly seems a bit much. Anyone dealt with this?
Is weather an issue where you live?
Winter schedule...does that include winter (say in Jan) showcasing on her schedule?
Agree 9-11pm is a bit late.
However prefer something instead of nothing!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My girls had a similar late night schedule for practice at 18U and then a 45-60 minute drive home on top of it, usually only 2 or 3 nights during the week. It wasn't ideal, made for some long days but it did teach and reinforce good time management skills and study habits.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Comes down to cost and availability.. Not only the field but coaches free time, bless their heart.

DD did not attend some Team events because it was an issue with her goals and lifestyle. School was important to our family and DD took it seriously.

Would it kill her to go to bed at midnight, probably not. But not her lifestyle. 6AM practice she would be in for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812