Last Year: A parent’s thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD is a senior and is just starting her last year of TB before going off to college.

I have so many memories…

Yesterday we were ½ hour early for DD’s pitching lesson. I was watching the lesson before hers, a kid about 11 or 12 just starting out. She and her Dad probably have no idea what they are getting themselves into…

There have been many good and bad experiences since the beginning. I tried to think of the bad ones and had trouble. I tried to think of good experiences and flooded my memory; first team – Pink Panthers (little league); first TB team – Dirt Devils; first pair of metal spikes; first time the drop actually worked; first pitching coach; first trip to Colorado; first perfect game; Varsity as a freshman; first college contact; first softball camp and photo with Jenny Finch; making the 18 Gold team; bad tournament food; long days in the sun… on and on and on….

I wouldn’t trade these years for anything.

I guess what started me thinking about this stuff is the past weekend. Our family travelled to MMI (Marion Military Institute) in Alabama for an official visit and DD was offered a spot on the roster. DD was BEAMING all the way home and couldn’t stop talking about softball and college. She is still holding out for a particular school in Northern California, but she tells us that is a major relief to know she has a solid backup offer.

As tired and broke as we are, DW and I are looking forward to this last year of DD playing softball from home. We are so proud of her!!!

Apr 6, 2012
Enjoy every minute! It seems like just the other day I was taking my DD up for her first year of college and collegiate softball and NOW she is going into her senior year and final year of softball. It goes SO fast!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And keep in mind that it can end, fast. DD went into her senior season and started mentioning side pain. It went on awhile, while we went to various doctors, finally she failed a gall bladder test and had to have surgery. No senior year and she chose not to go to college. She went to cosmetology school.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
And keep in mind that it can end, fast. DD went into her senior season and started mentioning side pain. It went on awhile, while we went to various doctors, finally she failed a gall bladder test and had to have surgery. No senior year and she chose not to go to college. She went to cosmetology school.

The winter before her freshman year DD was playing basketball in flats... (jeesh) ...subtalar dislocated ankle. We thought her sports days were over; thank god she only needs to wear ankle brace for the rest of her sports career.

sad about your DD :( and glad you stayed involved in the sport!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our family travelled to MMI (Marion Military Institute) in Alabama for an official visit and DD was offered a spot on the roster.

I'm right there with you man. DD is a senior this year and I'm not feeling it or believing my little girl is almost grown. :(

Sorry to get off topic.

Is this a new trend? I'm seeing Athelets choosing these schools more often. As a matter of fact my nephew is doing his official visit at the Air Force Academy in Colorado right now. They paid for his flight, but my brother had to pay for his own. I was looking at the school online last night, they take less that 13% of applicants, and is rated the #7 academic school in the country, education valued at $400,000. Heck I thought military colleges took any one. lol

Oh man you just had to bring this up!
Spent yesterday moving my eldest into her new college. She spent last year playing catcher at a great NAIA school in Virginia, where she actually got some starts at catcher, hit over 300 for most of the year before being replaced in the lineup, (That is a long story, and I don't want to get into it) but now she is back home in Tennessee at a great school. She is choosing to focus on her studies and let her softball career come to a close. Tendonitis in her knees and rotator cuff issues probably mean that the TB Tourneys she played with her younger sister this summer are the last times I will see her play.
Enjoy those memories!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yesterday, I gave a hitting lesson to a young man who's father drove him down from Chicago. We filmed the lesson. I got up early this morning to break the video down to send some emails to player and dad. Wow, I had forgotten to clear the memory in the video camera and so, had literally 3 years of my daughter on there. I spent almost all day looking at that video and reminiscing. I have some of her teammates as well and intend to make a DVD for those parents as a surprise gift. DD is off and running for sophomore season. They begin tomorrow with morning workouts and afternoon practice. How could she possible be in college? I am envious of some of you who get to enjoy the high school years. I'd love to do it again. However, I don't miss the recruitment stuff.:cool::):cool:

Jan 25, 2011
I would like to thank all of you. For some of us with younger girls. I really am glad that you can give us the insight and advice, that is in all of our future. The time goes fast and some times we don't realize how fast it does go. So again thanks to all of you.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would like to thank all of you. For some of us with younger girls. I really am glad that you can give us the insight and advice, that is in all of our future. The time goes fast and some times we don't realize how fast it does go. So again thanks to all of you.

Man I'd trade places with any of you to rewind time and be at 8u all over again. Very few things in life have "a feeling", and if you love this game and love that time with your daughter, it's magical.

CB, I know how you feel. Every time I see someone post an old pic on Facebook of our many years of TB or school ball, I just sit there and stare and all those memories rush through my mind. Sometimes brings watery eyes.....................

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802