Last night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2016
Discussion after hitting practice last night with HC.

He says this is how his girls have been taught.

Also Says to focus on top 2/3 of ball.

Thoughts

Nov 18, 2015
I like the turning the triangle analogy. Especially for younger hitters, it at least put the idea in their head that the elbows need to stay apart during the swing, and not collapse together (bat drag, anyone?).

Did you have issues with the video, or the cue to focus on the top 2/3? Maybe the team has had issues with lots of pop-ups in the past? IMO, any cue about what part of the ball to focus on is useless if applied unilaterally to the team - this needs to be tailored to each players swing tendencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Discussion after hitting practice last night with HC.

He says this is how his girls have been taught.

Also Says to focus on top 2/3 of ball.

Thoughts

What I gathered from the video was maintaining a 'power triangle' til extension. Visually ok I guess. But tangibly I think it's a bad thought. For one thing if you try to maintain anything too long , that usually is detrimental. Elbows help adjust in/out/up/down/slow/fast in the swing. They are adjusters not power suppliers. IMO. Pull up any good hitter hitting an outside pitch, their power triangle is distorted if you will , definitely not maintained. All those clips in the video were of inside pitches being hit. That would be the elbows adjusting(staying bent). Outside location the lead arm usually straightens . The Rachel Garcia thread just started , look at her 'triangle' (distorted), pitch location:high and away. If that is maintaining the triangle. Ok then.

When I teach the swing , the elbows are an after thought unless there's a reason to address them. Usually not in my experiences. I try to keep it as simple as I can . I put the emphasis on the hands ,loading of the body and loading of the barrel. Accompanied by dynamic balance.

Somebody on here said every swing is an adjustment. I am of that philosophy. I like maintaining certain things until the next part of the sequence starts and so on and so . Things like dynamic balance , coil , stretch. Hopefully others will be more detailed with their description. I am a novice at describing things with the written word.

Ps. Just had a travel practice last weekend , one of my players had a new slot the back elbow way past her hands thing going on. Not what she left me with 2 months ago. I put the intent back on her hands and the distorted elbow went away.Not the same thing as the triangle . Just an example of putting focus where it doesn't need to be . IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802