LAG Hinge angle Push Throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was not suggesting golf swing is the same as softball swing!! That's why I used BTW. The only thing they have in common is that the core/torso is the main engine. I would never promote bat drag but I am ok with a little club drag and even in golf it can be over done.

FFS would you please answer my questions? I am not asking you because I want to argue but because I value you thoughts.

RH, you wrote ... "So another question for FFS. Would you best describe the softball swing as releasing from the top or hold off (lag) the releasing?"

I am not certain of what you mean by "releasing from the top".

IMO one does not attempt to 'hold' lag ... but to get rid of lag as quickly as possible.

In terms of tension, I think it would help if you thought of the 'wrists'. One should initially have relatively loose wrists ... on a scale of 1-to-10, with 10 being stiff, the tension level in the wrists would be somewhere between 2-to-4. Many of my hitters waggle the barrel to get their wrist tension dialed down. At swing initiation the wrists will initially stiffen and then quickly dial back down to the tension level that you initially established. The pre-set tension level is important in this regard.

One should be 'releasing' into and through impact. You have heard pros such as Bonds speak of 'catching' the ball with their barrel ... imo their use of the word 'catch' is similar to what I describe as 'release'. Going into impact you have done what you needed to develop barrel speed ... the notion at impact should be to let the barrel do the work ... there should be no additional 'pushing' through impact imo ... it will pay dividends going through impact if you initially set the wrist tension level low.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The elbows in golf work together. The elbows in softball/baseball swing work independently. Two different worlds imo.

Hmmm ... while there is a lot of truth to the point that the rear-arm and lead-arm have different roles/functions ... it is also true that structure along the forearms is built/established/formed/created at swing launch. If you recall, some folks would speak of "turning a triangle" ... and while that is not the way I personally teach the swing, it is true that a properly launched swing will establish structure along the forearms that is akin to a triangle-like relationship ... the triangle being along the left-elbow to the hands to the right-elbow, with an imaginary line connecting the two elbows.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hmmm ... while there a lot of truth to the point that the rear-arm and lead-arm have different roles/functions ... it is also true that structure along the forearms is built/established/formed/created at swing launch. If you recall, some folks would speak of "turning a triangle" ... and while that is not the way I personally teach the swing, it is true that a properly launched swing will establish structure along the forearms that is akin to a triangle-like relationship ... the triangle being along the left-elbow to the hands to the right-elbow, with an imaginary line connecting the two elbows.

Agreed. During swing launch there is a structure that is formed and maintained for a bit during the baseball swing. Getting to that point is where the elbows are ‘independent’. The back elbow IRs(slots)while the front elbow ERs and STAYS IN PLACE(turns). Making one in motion while the other is not. That actually is a great check point to look for a push swing. If both elbows move together. You are pushing.

This needed action in the swing has me smh when I would see that connector device floating around. That seems like it would inhibit good use of the elbows independently.

Have you heard that quote from JD Martinez when he spoke of Mookies swing. I believe it was ‘ mookies got great elbows ‘. A funny comment if you dont know what he means.

The golf swing actually has both elbows working together all the way through the swing. Meaning, when one is in motion the other is as well. Together. Not independent.

As a student of both swings. I must say the golf swing is elementary compared to the baseball swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RH ... it isn't that you want to prevent 'lag' from being created ... it is more that you set the proper tension levels throughout the body so that lag is created ... ..... ... and you don't attempt to 'hold' lag, but more you try to get rid of lag as quickly as possible .... which does not at all mean that you should set high tension levels to avoid/restrict lag ... you want lag ... you want lag to become created ... through quick usage of the body with relatively low muscle tension ... and then do what this guy here says ... get rid of that lag as fast as you can.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agreed. During swing launch there is a structure that is formed and maintained for a bit during the baseball swing. Getting to that point is where the elbows are ‘independent’. The back elbow IRs(slots)while the front elbow ERs and STAYS IN PLACE(turns). Making one in motion while the other is not. That actually is a great check point to look for a push swing. If both elbows move together. You are pushing.

This needed action in the swing has me smh when I would see that connector device floating around. That seems like it would inhibit good use of the elbows independently.

Have you heard that quote from JD Martinez when he spoke of Mookies swing. I believe it was ‘ mookies got great elbows ‘. A funny comment if you dont know what he means.

The golf swing actually has both elbows working together all the way through the swing. Meaning, when one is in motion the other is as well. Together. Not independent.

As a student of both swings. I must say the golf swing is elementary compared to the baseball swing.

Being a student of both the golf swing and baseball/softball swing is a good thing. On occasion a parent will tell me that their golf swing has improved thanks to watching their daughter’s hitting lessons.

In both the baseball/softball swing and the golf swing, the lead-arm can be thought to be a ‘swinger’ and the rear-arm a ‘thrower’. In both swings the ‘lead’ and ‘rear’ hands/arms have different rolls/functions.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thank you guys. FFS we are going to keep throwing and releasing
the barrel, using the trunk / core / torso pulling. Does frisbee throw have any application?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you guys. FFS we are going to keep throwing and releasing
the barrel, using the trunk / core / torso pulling. Does frisbee throw have any application?

Nice RH!

On occasion I will halt a hitting session to have a hitter throw a frisbee with their bottom-hand/lead-arm "over the center field fence" ... it is a lead-arm drill. More often I will show them the "short hands" drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478