LAG Hinge angle Push Throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
No Mann, this image is not "the proper way to throw the bat".

If i asked a youngster to throw the bat at the ball, thats what they would do.

13312d1539149543-lag-hinge-angle-push-throw-batdrag_003.jpg
sidearm.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
C'mon Mann ... you are simply being foolish.

When you wrote "many HL peoples have said the swing is a push", was the notion of 'push' what is being described in this video you post of a frontal plane swing? I doubt it. Who are these "HL peoples" that claim to push that demonstrate a frontal plane swing as their swing?

I question if you are truly this lost .... or if this is just your way of making noise and having fun.

But what the heck ... I'll wait patiently for examples of "HL peoples" that claim they have a 'push swing' in which they swing in the frontal plane as demonstrated in this video.

Pretty sure its not what they meant, lol,

What is your definition of a push swing?

Not what the u tube guy says?

Pretty sure Ted Williams said His swing and other MLb players swings were push swings. i could be wrong and i will retract if so. Parker also said the swing was a push.
Ted Willaims also says its very important to use your hands and wrists and to work on this .

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is this "pushing"
ramariz.gif

I understand the similarities to throwing, but try to throw something without your elbow leading your hand. That would be push.

The front arm pulls, the back arm must push out does it not? With force.

And i must add, most youth will Throw the bat at the ball. Very strong swing, sometimes they can even hit the ball.
Unfortunately, the elbow leading the hands is call bat drag (in most circles))
This image would be the proper way to throw the bat,
View attachment 13312

UNless, you just throw with your body, and your arms and hands are doing something else, and then no bat drag

Mann,

I think you may be confusing a 'push' swing with the direction of certain muscle contractions. That really isn't how muscles work... May I suggest doing some research on "Antagonistic Muscle Pairs"? It may provide some insight. As far as a "push" swing... IMO go back to my example of "swinging on the right side of the body". (I am at work right now, so I don't have access to my gifs). But an oversimplified view is that swinging on the right side of the body for a right handed hitter is not a push swing. Once the hands get too far ahead of the body, a push swing is created. Again, this is oversimplified. There is more to it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pretty sure its not what they meant, lol,

What is your definition of a push swing?

Not what the u tube guy says?

Pretty sure Ted Williams said His swing and other MLb players swings were push swings. i could be wrong and i will retract if so. Parker also said the swing was a push.
Ted Willaims also says its very important to use your hands and wrists and to work on this .

Correct, the concept of pushing relative to the video you showed was not at all what Ted meant ... not even close.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can understand that. In my mind a throw is not a bad analogy;

I myself still consider it more of a punch.
scapbouncewconnectiongif.gif

But instead of one arm, i use more structure, (hitters box) front elbow.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Bagdrill/i-SGQsJwX/0/9fdedd70/640/JD front elbow-640.mp4
Like JD is showing his guys
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Bagdrill/i-K4cQ5Fq/0/8b634f45/640/jdpunch-640.mp4

A comparison to boxing can be made ... not a bad analogy for teaching/learning the concepts of trunk rotation and adduction.

May 12, 2016
I see this as the rear scap 'becoming' compressed in large part because of the tension levels during early trunk location ... and not the act of purposely attempting to use the arm or shoulder to pull back the rear scap.

Can you please elaborate on this more.... specifically early trunk location?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802