Lack of speed & agility is concerning...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Speed is always nice to have, but unless you are really fast that alone is less of an asset as you get older. You don't see a lot of delay steals ,etc as you get older. The Catchers are just too good unless you are a blazer. I also think that as you get older if you are really slow it's a huge detriment unless you can just hammer the ball. Grounding into DP's, thrown out from RF,etc. On your team how do the deploy a defense if they only have 4 fast players. You can be average speed in the OF, but if you can't run at all you will get killed?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This might not apply but ..

Our League has separate divisions from Rec to TB B Teams, we play against other cities in our area at the level you signed up for.

All the cities do it a little bit different but we have tryouts for above rec, rec it is whoever signs up first. The best player in the world will be placed on waiting list if they signup to rec late and rec teams are full.

We dominated 12U rec league so somehow we got bumped to playing in the TB C end year tourney.

We were a really good Team and were destroyed. I think if our exact same team would have played at that level all year we would have been competitive.

The Teams we played against were to quick for us and the speed of play was nothing we were use to.

Maybe it is faster then you think, games just faster.

(We had a player on our Team this year that always seemed to be on base in front of DD. DD is quick, this player needed to be forced to next base. She was not going anywhere but she was on base all the time. I am embarrassed to say I routed against her getting on base a couple times. Really nice girl by the way.)

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's not that, or not usually. Our little first year 12U girls just aren't as fast as the second year girls yet. We just played our 2nd tournament in 12U; they'll get there.

I'm right there with you. We have an all 06 team. When we face other 06 or mostly 06 teams we look great. When we face all 05 or mostly 05 teams we look like the bad news bears.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm right there with you. We have an all 06 team. When we face other 06 or mostly 06 teams we look great. When we face all 05 or mostly 05 teams we look like the bad news bears.

I was pleasantly surprised how we did against other 06 teams. In the B tournament we played we were 2-0 against 06s. In the A tournament, we were 1-2 but no blow outs. I thought that was pretty good. Then we played an 05 A team that was 4-0 for the day and placed top 5 in the end. We won't talk about that one.

JLF

Sep 18, 2017
Deploy?

...On your team how do the deploy a defense if they only have 4 fast players. You can be average speed in the OF, but if you can't run at all you will get killed?

Good question. Only 2 tourneys this fall, 8 games total so the lineup isn't set and I wasn't keeping track of anyone other than my DD since she is new to the team.

They have one very good pitcher so that will keep them in many games.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not spend too much time worrying about other players on the team. Just work with your DD to improve her skillset. This can include hitting, fielding, throwing, pitching, conditioning, and speed & agility workouts OUTSIDE of regular practice times.

JLF

Sep 18, 2017
Maybe it is faster then you think, games just faster.

No, these kids are really slow compared to my rec team.

My rec team would have also been crushed by a TB team. Pitching, catching & some hitting was way behind TB. From what I've seen so far, good pitching and catching hides a lot of flaws.

We also had one player on rec that was super slow, but super nice. Poor kid was slow at everything. She ran slow, swung the bat slow and had a really long slow throwing motion. I couldn't do much with her because her dad was very involved.

JLF

Sep 18, 2017
My DD started soccer late too. This is her second season. Also starting her second season of hoops soon. She likes the constant motion of those two sports.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478