LA consistency, SDLA, Swinggraphs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
According to them doing this will minimize K's but also minimize performance

What @pattar says is correct as far as my understanding goes. According to SwingGraphs contact quality and contact frequency ae inversely correlated.

They also don't advocate matching the plane of the swing, but using a more vertical swing path with a higher attack angle. They have data that they use to back these assertions up, but I'm not motivated enough or smart enough to look into it. Could be a garbage in = garbage out situation.

The site is worth perusing if you have some time to kill, but like I said in an earlier post (and WW eluded it this), it can a bit hard to decipher exactly what they are saying and why.

As for now I'm sticking with Woody's advice, “Don't forget to swing hard, just in case you hit the ball.”

(edit: Actually Pattar covered most of this in post #18)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I don't have the patience to go through their whole twitter account but their pinned tweet (and the attached graph) just says K rate has little impact on overall performance (using whatever metric they decided was best to measure this). Didn't dig deep enough to see what they said about swings and misses.

Edit: Looking further it appears they ascribe to the idea that in order to make the best contact you want to do the opposite of what gives the highest contact rate which is to be on-plane for as long as possible(according to their data I guess). In that sense their conclusion with regards to K rate makes sense.
Thanks- I think so too and now it’s getting filtered down to the point that I “get it”. “Kind of“ get it, lol
I think this is what it means. From 1968.

View attachment 21107
I don’t think so because they make an emphasis in VBA vs attack angle. In the illustration, the bat angle is flat. I think the classic illustration lacks one plane, (angle?) of what Swinggraphs thinks is important.
According to them doing this will minimize K's but also minimize performance

What @pattar says is correct as far as my understanding goes. According to SwingGraphs contact quality and contact frequency ae inversely correlated.

They also don't advocate matching the plane of the swing, but using a more vertical swing path with a higher attack angle. They have data that they use to back these assertions up, but I'm not motivated enough or smart enough to look into it. Could be a garbage in = garbage out situation.

The site is worth perusing if you have some time to kill, but like I said in an earlier post (and WW eluded it this), it can a bit hard to decipher exactly what they are saying and why.

As for now I'm sticking with Woody's advice, “Don't forget to swing hard, just in case you hit the ball.”

(edit: Actually Pattar covered most of this in post #18)
I agree with all this- with the possible increased emphasis on VBA.

Here is a video from the Quant Tee site that gets a little more into that whole dealio.

Jun 8, 2016
There will be no shootings today. :)

I'm amazed at how many rabbit hole threads there are in hitting. Most kids have bat drag and/or swing flat/down, and could make it to HS ball just by swinging like Ted's graph. It's a very sad situation.</rant>
Yes people tend to overcomplicate things on the boards. Makes for some good conversations I guess. I would hope that doesn't get carried over to when they actually work with their kids but who knows.

Feb 25, 2020
Yes people tend to overcomplicate things on the boards. Makes for some good conversations I guess. I would hope that doesn't get carried over to when they actually work with their kids but who knows.

Hitting is the hardest thing to coach imo. Pitching the player is in control the whole time. Hitting... gotta react and that is tough,especially for younger players.

Me and dd dont practice hitting at all together haha. I did recommend she keep doing a trout-esque on deck swing that she does alot of the time.

The boards... they havent been the same since ww ignored me.

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting is the hardest thing to coach imo. Pitching the player is in control the whole time. Hitting... gotta react and that is tough,especially for younger players.
It is not easy..that is for sure and it is that much harder (for most) when they are coaching their own kid. I'm learning slowly..by the time my 2 YO DS hits HS I might have a clue :LOL:

Dec 11, 2010
I’m not usually interested in the super technical stuff but this drew me in for some reason.

I agree most parents and coaches overcomplicate things. By a factor of 10. Talking about hitting to a hitter is not only a waste of time but can ruin them. How many times I have seen this.... Kids with ability but a vapor locked brain at the plate.

99% of hitting should be working on keeping an empty head at the plate, not thinking too much, hitting the middle of the ball, hit the ball where it’s pitched. The “coaching” should mostly be: way to hit that hard, way to hit an outside pitch oppo, that was a strike or no, way to take a middle pitch back up the middle, good take that wasn’t a strike etc.

We always did front toss at the end of our sessions. It was to practice hitting not time for daddies to tell the kid how to do it.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m not usually interested in the super technical stuff but this drew me in for some reason.

I agree most parents and coaches overcomplicate things. By a factor of 10. Talking about hitting to a hitter is not only a waste of time but can ruin them. How many times I have seen this.... Kids with ability but a vapor locked brain at the plate.

99% of hitting should be working on keeping an empty head at the plate, not thinking too much, hitting the middle of the ball, hit the ball where it’s pitched. The “coaching” should mostly be: way to hit that hard, way to hit an outside pitch oppo, that was a strike or no, way to take a middle pitch back up the middle, good take that wasn’t a strike etc.

We always did front toss at the end of our sessions. It was to practice hitting not time for daddies to tell the kid how to do it.
There is a happy medium, which differs for each hitter (and also is age dependent), which needs to be sought out.

Dec 11, 2010
I can agree with this.

I just think adults, especially those who played, spend too much time talking and too little time throwing balls for their kids to hit.

The crap that comes out of parents mouths about hitting is usually trash and their kids would be better off without it. There are exceptions. Most people are not capable of self evaluating that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee