LA consistency, SDLA, Swinggraphs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
"Hit the ball over the outfielders' heads". That is how I read those graphs.
Honestly, this is at least in part what they are saying. Swing hard, with an increased Attack Angle and don't worry about swinging and missing. The better your swing (based on contact quality if you do hit it) the better chance you will swing and miss. At least that's what I think they are saying.

Your explanation is much clearer. Maybe you should handle their social media.

Jun 8, 2016
TBH the only thing they are saying is that the xwOBAcon statistic (https://technology.mlblogs.com/an-i...d-weighted-on-base-average-xwoba-29d6070ba52b) is only weakly dependent on LA as long as the LA isn't too extreme...I think that is what they were getting at with their " It still works, just not how people think" thing..where the "it" was the predictive value of the statistic. Personally I am not a big Sabermetrics guy and never heard of that statistic before...

So in other words, all of you using that statistic to track your DD's progress can rest assured that you can still use this to predict how well she will do in her next USSSA TB tournament (which uses Statcast...) even though it is not as dependent on LA as you might have thought..... :p

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
TBH the only thing they are saying is that the xwOBAcon statistic (https://technology.mlblogs.com/an-i...d-weighted-on-base-average-xwoba-29d6070ba52b) is only weakly dependent on LA as long as the LA isn't too extreme...I think that is what they were getting at with their " It still works, just not how people think" thing..where the "it" was the predictive value of the statistic. Personally I am not a big Sabermetrics guy and never heard of that statistic before...

So in other words, all of you using that statistic to track your DD's progress can rest assured that you can still use this to predict how well she will do in her next USSSA TB tournament (which uses Statcast...) even though it is not as dependent on LA as you might have thought..... :p
yeah, my bad. I was referring to their site's content overall not just this tweet, which Bonesaw was probably referencing specifically.

Honestly. I have no idea why I even follow this cr*p. I guess it's more interesting than Interstate Interchanges...... but then what isn't?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I agree with @pattar on this one. @jdint did a nice job of explaining standard deviation. While I find the topic interesting, I don't see anything that most of us have not already figured out.

Dec 11, 2010
The better your swing (based on contact quality if you do hit it) the better chance you will swing and miss. At least that's what I think they are saying.

In following Swinggraph’s Twitter, this has been my uneducated conclusion too. I wondered if I was even close to being right, so I’m kind of encouraged by your post!

Question for all- Is he saying that as your performance improves you will swing and miss more? Doesn’t seem that those two things go together.

From a more practical standpoint, I believe Swinggraph and Quant Tee are the same guy. Quant Tee might be the part that helps the 13 year old player... While I don’t understand the data in the form they present it, the claims/predictions he makes about hitting performance seem to have some merit. DD’s exit speed has gone way up in a few short months but she’s ALSO been strength training, getting good coaching, learned how to monitor her swing with Blast and saw a true professional hitting coach. Too many factors to understand for certain in her case.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't have the patience to go through their whole twitter account but their pinned tweet (and the attached graph) just says K rate has little impact on overall performance (using whatever metric they decided was best to measure this). Didn't dig deep enough to see what they said about swings and misses.

Edit: Looking further it appears they ascribe to the idea that in order to make the best contact you want to do the opposite of what gives the highest contact rate which is to be on-plane for as long as possible(according to their data I guess). In that sense their conclusion with regards to K rate makes sense.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I think this is what it means. From 1968.

View attachment 21107
If you were serious about interpreting what they are saying (and knowing you I doubt you were) then this is

bbdPIxp.gif

According to them doing this will minimize K's but also minimize performance..and before you shoot the messenger

To send a Direct Message from Twitter
1) Tap the envelope icon. ...
2) Tap the message icon to create a new message.
3) In the address box, enter the name(s) or @username(s) of the people you wish to send a message to (@SwingGraphs)
4) Enter your message.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee