Knuckle Drop Ball as Offspeed Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
DD has been experimenting with an offspeed pitch (to compliment her change-up) where she takes her normal 4 seam drop ball grip but tucks her middle finger/knuckle on the ball. It takes about 5 mph off the drop ball but still has good downward movement. Anyone use or experiment with this?

Her drop ball is around low to mid-50's; knuckle drop ball high 40's; and change-up low 40's.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think the off speed is one of the most underrated pitches. Selling the OS as a fastball ( you guys know what I mean ) is the key. Delivery must be the same, the spin needs to be very close, hiding the grip. Mixing speeds is done all the time, and for good reason, they just like putting the fancy names on them. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think the off speed is one of the most underrated pitches. Selling the OS as a fastball ( you guys know what I mean ) is the key. Delivery must be the same, the spin needs to be very close, hiding the grip. Mixing speeds is done all the time, and for good reason, they just like putting the fancy names on them. :)

Good advice GD! Long time no hear. Hope you've been enjoying some mix of beer, ball, boat, and BBQ

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD has been working on throwing her curve and drop curve off speed. Now if I could just get the coaching staff to start calling them in games....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD has been working on throwing her curve and drop curve off speed. Now if I could just get the coaching staff to start calling them in games....

IMO she is compliant (and more effective) if she throws the pitch that they call but she decides at what speed

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
IMO she is compliant (and more effective) if she throws the pitch that they call but she decides at what speed

I am working on that....sometimes she becomes too much of a robot in the circle and just throws whatever is called without thinking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28