Knob to the ball or barrel to the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
somewhat, but its far more than that. A team that shortens their swing and knows how to hit a pitch up versus trying to lift will have far more success with the ball up in the zone.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree, but how many kids on your team can actually drive the ball out of the yard? 2 maybe? the others use gaps and put the ball on the ground. A lot of it depends on your team makeup I get it but I have yet to see a team of HR hitters.

On my DD's 14U TB team last summer, we had 5 different players put the ball over the fence. We had 3 others that got pretty close multiple times. Good team, but not OMG!!!amazing!!

Ground balls happen, but the plan should always be to hit the ball on a hard line drive to the OF. Unless you are gifted with exceptional speed, intentionally putting the ball on the ground as your primary intent is a recipe for a low batting average. As the level of play goes up, so does the percentage of outs made on ground balls.

Although I haven't calculated stats like newnin did (see above), those results seems about right based on my observations in 12U and 14U travel ball.

Oct 2, 2017
somewhat, but its far more than that. A team that shortens their swing and knows how to hit a pitch up versus trying to lift will have far more success with the ball up in the zone.

What makes you think that hitter doesn't know how to adjust to hit a ball up in the zone? I think it depends on what you mean by lift the ball and how that is accomplished.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
On my DD's 14U TB team last summer, we had 5 different players put the ball over the fence. We had 3 others that got pretty close multiple times. Good team, but not OMG!!!amazing!!

Ground balls happen, but the plan should always be to hit the ball on a hard line drive to the OF. Unless you are gifted with exceptional speed, intentionally putting the ball on the ground as your primary intent is a recipe for a low batting average. As the level of play goes up, so does the percentage of outs made on ground balls.

Although I haven't calculated stats like newnin did (see above), those results seems about right based on my observations in 12U and 14U travel ball.
that's awesome. Good luck to yall!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What makes you think that hitter doesn't know how to adjust to hit a ball up in the zone? I think it depends on what you mean by lift the ball and how that is accomplished.

My DD loves pitches up in the zone.

Funny story behind this one...The batter before got a pitch up in the zone, and put it over the fence. That ball was tossed back on the field, and to the pitcher. The first pitch to my DD was - again - up in the zone. The same ball went out of the yard twice on consecutive pitches.

Oct 2, 2017
My DD loves pitches up in the zone.

Funny story behind this one...The batter before got a pitch up in the zone, and put it over the fence. That ball was tossed back on the field, and to the pitcher. The first pitch to my DD was - again - up in the zone. The same ball went out of the yard twice on consecutive pitches.

Thats awesome! I think this proves my point, I think there is a misconception of understanding when someone first thinks of someone teaching lifting the ball in the air and how that is accomplished.

Maddie has a beast of a swing by the way!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
that's awesome. Good luck to yall!

Unfortunately, that team folded after PGF, and the players have scattered. That said, our power abilities weren't unusual at that level of play. In our 2 years with the team, unless the player was bunting, I don't recall the HC ever asking a player to intentionally hit a ground ball

Oct 2, 2017
Unfortunately, that team folded after PGF, and the players have scattered. That said, our power abilities weren't unusual at that level of play. In our 2 years with the team, unless the player was bunting, I don't recall the HC ever asking a player to intentionally hit a ground ball

Gives reassurance to players parents who think there kid is getting the shaft for playing outfield LOL. Their position is not any less valuable than another!

Nov 11, 2019
I hope you aren't teaching launch angle. Don't sip on that juice.

I'm old school. Line drives and ground balls are good. Ball in the air is an out.
Knob to the ball isn't what I teach either but keep the ball out of the air people. Fly balls are easy to catch.
W
I hope you aren't teaching launch angle. Don't sip on that juice.

I'm old school. Line drives and ground balls are good. Ball in the air is an out.
Knob to the ball isn't what I teach either but keep the ball out of the air people. Fly balls are easy to catch.
we teach bat on plane, hands behind the ball and drive it Hard. I feel that 14u and above, ground balls seem routine for most middle infielders. We like long hard drives, not necessarily fly balls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee