Knob to the ball or barrel to the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
Lead with the knob and the barrel will catch up. I am not a big fan of teaching knob to the ball though. In all reality the knob stays inside the ball. I teach my hitters to "break the glass" ie- a window pane that is located inside the ball. Of course the top hand or elbow can't lead the swing because this will cause bat drag. Lead with the front elbow and keep the palm up, palm down approach at point of contact.

Aug 2, 2019
In searching for a cue that works for DD, I tell her to take her back shoulder to the ball, and it works for her. I want her to forget about her hands completely. If she thinks about her hands at all everything goes to hell.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
Knob to the ball is terrible cue, it leads to a groundball swing.
I hope you aren't teaching launch angle. Don't sip on that juice.

I'm old school. Line drives and ground balls are good. Ball in the air is an out.
Knob to the ball isn't what I teach either but keep the ball out of the air people. Fly balls are easy to catch.

Oct 2, 2017
I hope you aren't teaching launch angle. Don't sip on that juice.

I'm old school. Line drives and ground balls are good. Ball in the air is an out.
Knob to the ball isn't what I teach either but keep the ball out of the air people. Fly balls are easy to catch.

The same can be said about ground balls, are easily defended to create outs. As much as "Old school" don't like it, fly balls especially to the gaps, produce more bases. Not saying that it cant be done by playing small ball though.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
The same can be said about ground balls, are easily defended to create outs. As much as "Old school" don't like it fly balls especially to the gaps, produce more bases.
flyballs are a one step process...catch and your out.
ground balls are a 3 step process- field, throw, and catch.
I will take my chances on them making a mistake if they have to do three things vs. one.

Hitting balls in the gap are a result of staying in the middle of the ball. Trying to lift the ball increases strike outs too. 80% of the balls hitters swing through they are below when they miss. Today's culture has bought into the long ball and hitting bombs. I will take a team who puts the ball in play on the ground and line drives vs. a homerun team any day. This is my philosophy...Not saying what you believe is wrong I just don't like it. Again, I am old school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2