Knee Compression Sleeves for Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
My DD has now had injured both knees, MCL tear last season on left and sprained right this season. Rehabbed and recovered from both, but looking for future prevention in addition to the docs recommended stretching routine before games. I was looking at knee compression sleeves she could wear under pants during games and wanted to see if anyone else was using these at catcher, and what kind. It looks like they would have the tendency to slide down and bunch up around knee.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
I've had knee surgery 3 times and still use metal braces during play, the only thing my compression sleeves have done is limit the amount of pinching the braces do, and yes they do slide down your leg and I'm constantly pulling them up. Not completely sure what brand of sleeve you're talking about but I can't think they would give much stability but it does help on the mental side to think it might be helping.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My DD has now had injured both knees, MCL tear last season on left and sprained right this season. Rehabbed and recovered from both, but looking for future prevention in addition to the docs recommended stretching routine before games. I was looking at knee compression sleeves she could wear under pants during games and wanted to see if anyone else was using these at catcher, and what kind. It looks like they would have the tendency to slide down and bunch up around knee.

Compression sleeves are good for keeping muscles warm, but offer no structural support. ACL prevention training programs are employed by many of the top collegiate basketball and soccer programs. Cincinnati Children's Hospital has been among the leaders in this area Preventing ACL Injuries in Girls - Cincinnati Children's Blog Search DFP for ACL and you'll find further discussion.

After DD's ACL replacement, her ortho said that even a custom brace would be of little help preventing injury when considering the typical forces involved with a torn ACL or MCL. While other orthos may have different medical opinions, I tend to believe that those paying the lion's share for those surgeries (i.e., the insurance companies) would cover the cost of a high end custom brace, which is a fraction of surgical and rehab costs, if their statistical analyses indicated that braces effectively reduced the frequency of subsequent knee injuries. Knock on wood, but DD supports that assessment as she is still catching today without incident after her ACL replacement 5 years ago.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd just had reconstructive MPFL surgery a couple of weeks ago. Before the surgery she was wearing a compression "J" brace to play and finish out the fall season. The brace did nothing for her. It kept sliding down and she could still feel her kneecap moving around when hitting.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD wears compression sleeves but not for support per se. She's found that she can go longer if she wears the Tommy Copper sleeves and on her at least, they don't slide or bunch up.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
It's time to find her another position. Squatting all day will wreak havoc on your hinges regardless of what brace she wears

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802