KK 2nd year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2017
Here are a few swings from our last practice as I see her swing often I may overlook things since I’ve seen them so much any thoughts are much appreciated.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What does everyone think of the weight shift happening from toe touch to heel plant with head movement? I ask because Dave Hudgens does this in his video as he teaches that the weight should be back at least 60% at this point and then you shift the weight to center. As a result Hudgens has the hips sliding.

If you look at the second swing feet together she shifts her weight before toe touch/heel plant.

Nov 16, 2017
Here are a few swings from our last practice as I see her swing often I may overlook things since I’ve seen them so much any thoughts are much appreciated.

Fix attack posture. Front shoulder down toward second, head over belly button. Here right before the swing she has her front shoulder up. She is also striding way open. Impossible to hit an outside pitch well. Have her stride at least to even. I actually prefer a little bit close because you are a bit stronger with a slightly closed launch position.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.40.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.40.04 AM.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 9
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The barrel/bat/hands are collapsing into the body to much as the swing is initiated (full swing clip). This is caused by not turning the barrel from the start, a little bat drag, and not using posture to set the swing plane.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2017
Fix attack posture. Front shoulder down toward second, head over belly button. Here right before the swing she has her front shoulder up. She is also striding way open. Impossible to hit an outside pitch well. Have her stride at least to even. I actually prefer a little bit close because you are a bit stronger with a slightly closed launch position.

Yea looking at it she definitely is striding out. As for her head I wonder if her stepping out is effecting where her head position is. I attached a screenshot I’m assuming changing the front means the back shoulder will come up slightly.

Attachments

• C3782549-A873-4B7D-988D-7D1691013F0C.jpeg
    C3782549-A873-4B7D-988D-7D1691013F0C.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 9
Mar 13, 2017
What does everyone think of the weight shift happening from toe touch to heel plant with head movement? I ask because Dave Hudgens does this in his video as he teaches that the weight should be back at least 60% at this point and then you shift the weight to center. As a result Hudgens has the hips sliding.

If you look at the second swing feet together she shifts her weight before toe touch/heel plant.
I don’t mind it so long as it doesn’t cause her hips to slide forward which I don’t necessarily see here (could be wrong). I chalk it up to slight differences and approaches in batter’s swings where their initial loads or coils can be different but they can get to similar launch positions.

Mar 13, 2017
The barrel/bat/hands are collapsing into the body to much as the swing is initiated (full swing clip). This is caused by not turning the barrel from the start, a little bat drag, and not using posture to set the swing plane.
I hear posture to set the swing plane from time to time and I’m not sure if I understand that well. Does that mean getting her into a better attack angle, like James mentioned, before swing initiation? I see her back elbow moving a good amount and beating the back hip before the front arm and shoulder turn at all.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I hear posture to set the swing plane from time to time and I’m not sure if I understand that well. Does that mean getting her into a better attack angle, like James mentioned, before swing initiation? I see her back elbow moving a good amount and beating the back hip before the front arm and shoulder turn at all.

Well yes and no. Yes having the front shoulder lower then the back shoulder is part of the posture (posture from the side view) and no that is not the posture I mentioned for swing plane.

This is the posture I was talking about,

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see her back elbow moving a good amount and beating the back hip before the front arm and shoulder turn at all.

Yes she has some bat drag, as I mentioned the bat/hands collapse into the body a little bit during initiation.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is an attack angle posture, not everyone has the head over the front hip, but many have a downward shoulder angle.

Attachments

• posture6a.gif
    posture6a.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 8

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad