Kicked Dropped 3rd Strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
So during my DD's game today the other team was up to bat and there was a dropped 3rd strike, the batter took off and kicked the ball up the 1st base line with her. Now, I was sitting behind the OF fence, so no way to tell if it was on purpose or not, highly doubt it.

But I am curious what the rule is for kicking a dropped third strike? I figure if it's obvious she did it on purpose it's interference, but is it just a bad bounce if it happens any other way?

Oct 11, 2018
USA Softball Rule 8.2.F.6. The batter-runner is out when the batter runner interferes with a dropped 3rd strike. [intention is no not mentioned in the book]. Therefore, what you described should have been called an out on the batter-runner for interference.

Aug 25, 2019
This almost happened in DD's game yesterday.....a runner on first, a wild pitch bounces off backstop and almost hit batter, now if that ball did hit batter in the box?....Outside the box?

May 29, 2015
@flash277 ... what is interesting with that play is that most rules are applicable to certain “statuses”, i.e., a batted ball or a thrown ball.

The interference references in USA Softball refer to a thrown ball (must be intentional) and a play at the plate (does not have to be intentional).

I’d say you have nothing In USA Softball, in or out of the box, as it is not a thrown ball and there was not a play at the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812