Keeping stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2008
I keep stats for offense but basically only look at BA, OBP, SLUG, K/PA, BB/K

I use all to tweak my lineup. I can't keep track in my head of how 12 girls are performing. I swear a girl did great last weekend and when I looked at the book she only got one hit and got on base one other time in 8 PA's. What I remember was her one hit, where she stayed alive for 10 pitches and finally sat on and drove a changeup into left field for a single. I was so impressed with that at bat that it over shadowed the rest of the weekend in my mind.

This is along my lines of thinking. Stats are used solely for the coaches' purposes and their purposes alone. We do not give out stats to the girls or their parents. As another poster said, that's asking for trouble.

I'm most interested in OBP and contact percentage at our age (young 12u). I want to know who is getting on base without producing outs and who is putting the ball in play. Someone asked how stats can help figure out strengths and weaknesses...if I have a girl with a high ct% but a low OBP, it's a pretty good guess that she is not making good, solid contact. Yes, you can get that from watching the games but it's always good to have another means of evaluation and measurement.

Mar 6, 2009
I personally think stats tell a lot about a player. If you eliminate stat inflation (Like a few describe). Bottom line to me is: Does the player get on base swinging the bat (Ex. I don't care if she gets up to the plate 100 times and reaches base 100 times by hitting a pea to SS and she cannot field it properly), does she strikeout often, how many walks per inning pitched is my pitcher giving up, how many K's per inning pitched is my pitcher giving up, etc.. Over an extended period of time, you cannot fudge certain statistics and they do paint a good picture.

Bill

Jun 22, 2008
At some point you have to start publishing the stats. 10U, 12U, maybe even 14U, you can get away with not publishing them. But when you get to 16U and 18U most girls playing competitively at this point are trying to get a college scholarship, and colleges want to see their stats. That is the first thing you put together is a sheet of all the players, a small face picture and their overall stats.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I spend a lot of time in the book after a tournament & also compiling numbers- for myself not the girls. My biggest concern is on base % & K per at bat. I know sometimes F/c & sacrifices are misleading, but its good to be able to look in black & white & see who is at least putting the ball in play & who is striking out. Strikeouts & walks for pitchers are the important one for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28