JV or Varsity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For my DD’s school, seniors are required to be on Varsity. That said, being a senior doesn’t guarantee playing time. The 3 seniors on Varsity last year didn’t get much, which was a reflection for their skill level within the team.

I don't have any set rules, but I won't put a senior on JV. I believe JV is for development to get players ready for Varsity. I did play a senior in a JV game last year just to get her some ABs since she didn't play much and the JV team was down a couple players, but I don't see a lot of value in a full-time JV senior.

Aug 25, 2019
I don't have any set rules, but I won't put a senior on JV. I believe JV is for development to get players ready for Varsity. I did play a senior in a JV game last year just to get her some ABs since she didn't play much and the JV team was down a couple players, but I don't see a lot of value in a full-time JV senior.
WHat about a junior on JV?....I always felt JV should be for freshmen and sophomores, As a junior, if you are not good enough to be on the varsity team (even riding the bench), you shouldn't be playing anymore.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
WHat about a junior on JV?....I always felt JV should be for freshmen and sophomores, As a junior, if you are not good enough to be on the varsity team (even riding the bench), you shouldn't be playing anymore.

2020 will be our fourth year with a varsity team, but only third year with a JV team. Until now, I haven't actually had to make that decision as my juniors were always good enough to at least be bench players on varsity. This year is going to be different. If everybody who played last year returns, we'll have 16 girls who were either varsity players or JV players who are now juniors. No way I'm keeping all of them on Varsity, and there are a couple Sophomores who have a good shot at making it, too.

We've had discussions about it, and in most cases I lean toward taking a raw Freshman over a Junior who has had two years to develop and hasn't (maybe it's my fault she hasn't, maybe hers, maybe a combination of the two). But it all depends on our overall numbers, what the players can/can't do, and what they're like as teammates. It also probably depends on if I think one more year of JV ball/summer ball will put them in a position to contribute to the varsity team as a senior.

At least, that's my thought process going in.

Aug 25, 2019
Say Coach, honestly, with that large a varsity roster, do you make an effort to get bench girls in a game once in awhile?.....Or do you throw your best 9 out there every game and if maybe a blowout occurs you get some benchers in?.......Have you had girls on your varsity team that never stepped on the field all season?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Flash, I tried to briefly read through all the responses but probably missed a few and may have missed the point I will try to make below as it may have already been made.

IMHO, it is a simple question, but not for you, or anyone else. WHAT DOES YOUR DD WANT TO DO?

That's it. End of story, Decision made and it should be HERS!

Not knocking you at all Flash I promise! But this is the one thing that is often left out and I promise you I have done it myself more than once which is why I am posting now........ WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO THE PLAYER?

JV- Sound like she will get more time and will get to play
Varsity - she will likely letter but not play as much but be on the "varsity" team.

What sounds best to her? Where does she see HERSELF? What does she want to do? Ask her (and I am sure you have) but let her decide where she thinks she will be happiest.

Many times we try to plan out our kids paths only to find out we aren't on the same page with our kids. Again, I have done this thus the reason I am commenting. Ask the player, throw out the pros and cons and let them make the choice. It may surprise you.

Best of luck and I am sure she will have one hell of a year regardless because she has a parent interested enough to ask for advice on this forum. She is lucky to have you as a guide! But she ultimately has to make the decision.

Go get em Flash DD!!!

S3

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Say Coach, honestly, with that large a varsity roster, do you make an effort to get bench girls in a game once in awhile?.....Or do you throw your best 9 out there every game and if maybe a blowout occurs you get some benchers in?.......Have you had girls on your varsity team that never stepped on the field all season?

I don't have that large a roster. I guess I wasn't clear. That 16 includes last year's varsity plus all the girls who were on JV last year as Sophomores. Sixteen is way too many, so if they all return, we'll have to either keep some on JV or cut a few in favor of Freshmen.

Thirteen is the max I'll put on the varsity roster, at least at the beginning of the year.

Aug 25, 2019
I don't have that large a roster. I guess I wasn't clear. That 16 includes last year's varsity plus all the girls who were on JV last year as Sophomores. Sixteen is way too many, so if they all return, we'll have to either keep some on JV or cut a few in favor of Freshmen.

Thirteen is the max I'll put on the varsity roster, at least at the beginning of the year.
Yes, but does everyone get a chance to play during the
Flash, I tried to briefly read through all the responses but probably missed a few and may have missed the point I will try to make below as it may have already been made.

IMHO, it is a simple question, but not for you, or anyone else. WHAT DOES YOUR DD WANT TO DO?

That's it. End of story, Decision made and it should be HERS!

Not knocking you at all Flash I promise! But this is the one thing that is often left out and I promise you I have done it myself more than once which is why I am posting now........ WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO THE PLAYER?

JV- Sound like she will get more time and will get to play
Varsity - she will likely letter but not play as much but be on the "varsity" team.

What sounds best to her? Where does she see HERSELF? What does she want to do? Ask her (and I am sure you have) but let her decide where she thinks she will be happiest.

Many times we try to plan out our kids paths only to find out we aren't on the same page with our kids. Again, I have done this thus the reason I am commenting. Ask the player, throw out the pros and cons and let them make the choice. It may surprise you.

Best of luck and I am sure she will have one hell of a year regardless because she has a parent interested enough to ask for advice on this forum. She is lucky to have you as a guide! But she ultimately has to make the decision.

Go get em Flash DD!!!

S3
Right on brother!.....Of course it's gonna be her decision, I was just asking if anyone was in this position.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019

Right Coach, but do you try to get everyone in once in awhile?....Or do you just start the top 9 every game and not worry about the bench warmers.

Mar 6, 2018
Just be glad you have that option. My daughter plays for a small school so no JV with a roster of 20.

All coaches are not the same. There’s way more players busting there buts that don’t get the playing time earned because of ...you name it.

If I asked my daughter, it would be playing time hands down.

With that being said, speaking from a coaches perspective, I think It would be the programs and teams need that would dictate not player preference unless the coach gives the player the option.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do players really get to pick which teams that they try out for? We have tryouts. The best end up on the varsity. The others excluding seniors end up on the JV. Last year was the first time we allowed a junior to play on the JV. She did not want to play on the varsity and really didn't have a position so we worked with the player to let her continue to play. I guess some of you have dozens of players trying out for each team. We are a school of 1,000 and always have enough for both teams but not a lot of excess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478