Justified or petty?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree. Especially for a college student. You want them to be adults, then treat them like adults.

Everyone, thank you for your input. At this point, the girl is on the JV team. I suggested to her parents that they escalate the issue to the principal since that who (theoretically) has jurisdiction over the entire school. They have not done so to my knowledge. But unfortunate that it would even be an issue.

Dec 28, 2008
One of the neatest things I've read on this board was a comment to the effect --- "Boys have to win to be a team ... while girls have to be a team in order to win."

So to me if a high school is committed to that kind of philosophy she has the right to demote a player who is going to miss (as was stated) nearly all of the pre-season which is where the girls will "become the team." If a girl is athletically on a bubble which this one likely was, and she chooses her priorities where softball comes second, then her decisions will have consequences. In this case they obviously did. That same thing is going to happen to her all of her life, because it happens to all of us. We all want our cake and want to eat it to. It isn't any fairer for her to make Varsity and be singing in an air conditioned room while the other girls on the team work 2-4 hours per day on the field sweating, aching and grinding it out.

I don't like the idea of the double standard for the other player. However, as I don't know the whole/real story I can't really bash the HS coach. She may have been in a meeting with the AD and said "this girl isn't playing on my team" and AD could have said "Apparently you don't understand that little miss-drinker's dad paid 50,000 in the booster club last year and their money is paying for the football field regrassing this year. So little miss-drinker is playing, all I need to know is whether or not you're still going to be coaching the team or not." Or perhaps the girl had proven to be 100% committed to softball in the past, worked twice as hard during off season lifting/running, was a proven leader in the dugout and on the field, but got in trouble because the idiot she went on a first date with had something stashed under the seat of his car and then got pulled over for speeding and she got in trouble as a result.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She worked harder in choir practice than she would have on a field. Note that the school choir is excellent. Excellence at anything is achieved only through hard work and dedication.

There was a coach in Illinois who won a state girl's basketball championship at the "biggest school" level, due in large part to his junior all-state point guard. The all-state point guard was caught drinking in her senior year. What did he do? He sat her on the bench for the rest of her senior year, and played her perhaps 2 minutes a game. His team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs that year. That coach had integrity and he taught integrity.

KAT

May 13, 2008
My opinion for what its worth.....

I don't know the true circumstance to be honest. But saying she is not committed just because she wants to sing in the choir?? Don't we encourage our children to be all they can be? What is wrong about representing your school in both activities other then sports. It angers me when coachs, teachers and even more so AD's cannot work things out. I don't know if this girl should be on Varsity or not...the reason was stupid for her not being put on it, man up an tell the girl the truth...or put her on Varsity.

And for the record my daughter doesn't do any kind of musical type thing so missing sports (in her words...not on your life) for an activity such as this would never happen. So its not that we had have a similar type problem. Conflicting sports...now yes that has come up but has been dealt with quite nicely, responsibly and agreeably.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The whole idea of who is committed has to also be viewed in the role of wheter an activity is also a class. In our school, something like band participation is a part of their classroom grade. If you take drama, then the same rule applies. I don't know the circumstance in this case but did want to mention that.

My dd is dedicated to softball. I wish she had other interest. She doesn't and has now endured what has to be the most miserable two years of her life due to injuries. We find out tomorrow whether she will be able to play this hs season since she has a torn MCL. My Wife and I are worried about what will happen if the doctor says she can't play. Her whole sense of self is wrapped up in softball. Her whole room is that way. Every day she wears a softball T-shirt to school. I'd suggest that we all should support diversity in some degree.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Actually, they have asked her to go coach the JV team's pitchers. Again, tomorrow morning is very important. She should be in bed now but is up worried about what is going to be said. We'll see.

BTW, my dd's summer team has created a program 10U through 16U. My dd's team is 16U second year although most of the team like my dd are only 15. They started last year having the 16U work with girls at the lower levels. I thought that it was a great opportunity for the "older girls" to give back to the community. Her team is a community team that plays travel ball.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't want to hijack this thread so I apologize. MRI showed MCL "stretched" and damaged. Not to the point of surgery. However, what Doctors can't figure out is "swelling of the bone at the knee." Last summer, she was hospitalized at Cardinal Glennon Hospital in St. Louis for this while they contemplated drilling her bone. The end result of this is that the swelling is leading to her kneecap being displaced. So, the kneecap is getting damaged. She will now have to undergo more tests. However, she was given a "real brace" and practiced tonight. She couldn't stop smiling. They had a short practice but she threw most of the practice and then hit. She's still smiling and getting therapy as I type. Thanks for the well wishes. Mike, if you're reading this thread, you've seen her swing. As I mentioned, she didn't trust that front knee and so, the shorter stride. Still it isn't that bad of a swing. This explains it even more.

(Some of you can read into this a major concern some of the doctors have. I"m scared to even mention it. We're hoping it isn't that serious.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802