Just turned 7

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Nope, she really is 3' 6" maybe 3'7" by now it has been a couple months since her last checkup. We haven't played a team yet with anyone smaller than her. I have seen some gigantic 8u girls though. We played a team that their catcher was at least 5' and around 120 lbs. It was pretty damn funny watching my daughter up to bat next to that girl.
Ok yeah that is small but it doesn't matter. As a reference my 4 year old son is 42" tall and he uses like a 25" t-ball bat so it may be hard to find her a softball bat she can handle. Worse comes to worse you might want to have her choke up.

Dec 5, 2017
Nope, she really is 3' 6" maybe 3'7" by now it has been a couple months since her last checkup. We haven't played a team yet with anyone smaller than her. I have seen some gigantic 8u girls though. We played a team that their catcher was at least 5' and around 120 lbs. It was pretty damn funny watching my daughter up to bat next to that girl.
My daughter was in the same boat as yours at that age, 42'' and 42 lbs . I didn't think she would ever grow. She turned 10 this past July and her current stats are 53" and 58 lbs. We struggled with bat sizes, batting helmets, batting gloves (her fingers were long but skinny), uniforms, you name it.

Oct 2, 2017
She is 42" tall and about 45 lbs and yes that bat is too big. It's a 29" -12 vendetta. She uses the team bat in games and it's a 28" -11 cf6. I am leaning towards getting her the 28" -13 f20 Mizuno. The CF6 team bat still looks too heavy for her.

28" -11 is a very common size at 8u. 1 inch of length is a bigger leap that what it seems like it should be, especially at her age. I think you'll be in pretty good shape with that size.

Oct 2, 2017
I would definitely start with the bat question, how big is she and how big is that bat just from first look...it's too big.

Other than that she is super typical for this age the only thing I might try and do is have her get a very rudimentary understanding of sequence, the biggest and first step is to have her get into proper toe touch position before coming forward...this would put her miles ahead of everyone at this stage. She didn't seem too have much time to get ready was this front toss? She just seemed like she needed to start sequence a little sooner.

Finally she is 7, don't overthink it too much gotta keep it fun at this stage looks like she has pretty good coordination and a step down in bat size and weight might do the trick now to see lots of improvement.

I think this is very good advice. Most girls her age or even older ones age do not know sequence of any kind.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"have her get into proper toe touch position before coming forward.. "

I would word it a little different. I think you want mass balanced coming forward but the hands stay back until toe touch.

Well you don't have to watch Justin Stone video anymore. LOL

May 5, 2019
Analyzing the swing of a 7 year old is like working on the walking form of a Giraffe that was just born 4 hours ago...lol. We have all been there, just focus on consistency of where she stands (find a way to get her in the same or close to the same spot every time) and to stay loose and just focus on the ball. DO NOT mess with anything else right now, trust me. Her body will change so much in the next few years as well as her coordination that you will know when its time. Lots of Tee work too, good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802