Just some discussion: What are your top 3 absolutes that you try to teach all hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Please explain where the 'tension' is and when it is created. What is resisting, and when? What is 'connected' to 'what'?

Sorry. I don't have the mentality to go down that rabbit hole today. These are all topics that have been discussed at length on this site, and those interested to learn more can research those topics for themselves. I also know your knowledge/understanding of the swing probably doesn't match up completely with mine, and I have no interest in getting into a debate about it.

If you feel like sharing your "top 3", go for it. If not, no worries.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry. I don't have the mentality to go down that rabbit hole today. These are all topics that have been discussed at length on this site, and those interested to learn more can research those topics for themselves. I also know your knowledge/understanding of the swing probably doesn't match up completely with mine, and I have no interest in getting into a debate about it.

Your #2 recommendation was "2. Create tension/resistance and get connected."

Since this is your #2 recommendation, I am interested in your thoughts on what you recommend tensing up and when in the swing you recommend tensing up. When you recommend 'connection', what do you recommend being 'connected'?

I get that EricF highly recommends "creating tension" and being "connected". I am trying to understand what EricF means by that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey 5, I mean know disrespect as I know you know your stuff. All your posts asking for people to explain what they mean by this or that come off as holier than though. I could be totally wrong but that’s the impression I get. Again, no disrespect man. Just wondering why?

Hey Cornbread, I mean no disrespect ... but when someone comes off as making what they believe is a simple recommendation, and they can't describe it, then they come across as making noise. Worse, when they speak of "creating tension" ... something that can negatively impact someone's swing depending on one's interpretation ... and they won't describe 'what' is being tensed up and 'where in the swing they want this tension', then they sort of come across as not truly trying to be helpful.

But hey ... if creating tension and being connected rates as your #2 absolute, and you refuse to explain yourself, then so be it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Your #2 recommendation was "2. Create tension/resistance and get connected."

Since this is your #2 recommendation, I am interested in your thoughts on what you recommend tensing up and when in the swing you recommend tensing up. When you recommend 'connection', what do you recommend being 'connected'?

I get that EricF highly recommends "creating tension" and being "connected". I am trying to understand what EricF means by that.

Cool that you're interested, but I'm not going there today. Besides, there is nothing I know that will further your knowledge/understanding of swing mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Cool that you're interested, but I'm not going there today. Besides, there is nothing I know that will further your knowledge/understanding of swing mechanics.

I currently work with hitters ranging from 8 to their 20s. I learn something from the vast majority of them. I also interact with many coaches, instructors and parents. I try to make it a habit to learn something new everyday. Folks may be surprised where good information comes from when they remain open to learning. So go ahead and describe EricF's strong recommendation on "creating tension" and being "connected".

Bottom line EricF ... your recommendation could easily be interpreted in a way that would make hitters worse. The EricF I thought I knew would recognize that and add clarity to his recommendations.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Quoting you EricF because I would appreciate 5s perspective on his absolutelys.

I have a list as well. It’s pretty boring, but I will state anyway.

1) balance during the ‘load’
2) balance during the forward move
3) balance during swing launch
3a) Handpath

Even though numbered. They are equally important imo.

Feb 15, 2017
Basic, yes, but sometimes simple can be effective:

1. Get you body in an athletic position. Hit like an athlete, which is not mechanical.
2. Timing, timing, timing. Slow into launch. Stretch the rubber band and let it go.
3. Extension. Seems like this quick fix of keeping the bat through the zone longer goes a long way.

Above all - hall of fame baseball players failed twice as much as they were successful so frame of mind and having a positive mindset is paramount.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I currently work with hitters ranging from 8 to their 20s. I learn something from the vast majority of them. I also interact with many coaches, instructors and parents. I try to make it a habit to learn something new everyday. Folks may be surprised where good information comes from when they remain open to learning. So go ahead and describe EricF's strong recommendation on "creating tension" and being "connected".

Bottom line EricF ... your recommendation could easily be interpreted in a way that would make hitters worse. The EricF I thought I knew would recognize that and add clarity to his recommendations.

Your teaching experience is greater than mine. Your knowledge and understanding of the swing is greater than mine. From what I know of you, I have nothing to add to your knowledge and understanding. I'm sure many people could benefit from you listing your "top 3" and providing in-depth descriptions of them.

I didn't offer enough info to interpret it in any particular direction. That was intentional. Today, I don't have the mentality to get into deep hitting discussions. Tomorrow might be different.

FWIW...I tend to use "stretch" and "tension" fairly interchangeably when talking about swing movements. I have found that some kids relate to one word better than another. Maybe I should have used the word "stretch" in my initial post in this thread.

EDIT: I hesitated to make my initial post. I should have listened to myself.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your teaching experience is greater than mine. Your knowledge and understanding of the swing is greater than mine. From what I know of you, I have nothing to add to your knowledge and understanding. I'm sure many people could benefit from you listing your "top 3" and providing in-depth descriptions of them.

I didn't offer enough info to interpret it in any particular direction. That was intentional. Today, I don't have the mentality to get into deep hitting discussions. Tomorrow might be different.

FWIW...I tend to use "stretch" and "tension" fairly interchangeably when talking about swing movements. I have found that some kids relate to one word better than another. Maybe I should have used the word "stretch" in my initial post in this thread.

EDIT: I hesitated to make my initial post. I should have listened to myself.

Got it ... you recommend "creating tension" and being "connected" ... and you were intentionally vague.

Appreciate the 'red' ... adding descriptions helps many folks.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Quoting you EricF because I would appreciate 5s perspective on his absolutelys.

I have a list as well. It’s pretty boring, but I will state anyway.

1) balance during the ‘load’
2) balance during the forward move
3) balance during swing launch
3a) Handpath

Even though numbered. They are equally important imo.

Well, I'll keep with the EricF theme of not adding detail :).

Areas that I frequently have hitters focus on ...
1) Rhythm
2) Sequence (inclusive of ‘early and slow’, core loading, balance, preparing to use the torso/core)
3) Torso-engine (inclusive of lower rear back becoming arched, rear shoulder becoming semi-retracted, top hand coming up and assisting with the lead arm seeking plane [short hands])
4) Top hand path (inclusive of rear forearm loop action and being short)
5) Direction
6) Mentality of a hitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802