Just some discussion: What are your top 3 absolutes that you try to teach all hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
On the topic of 'connection' ... the concept was advertised heavily in the RVP hitting system. Mike Candrea would often speak of "live and independent hands" ... that is known by many today as the second engine ... or hand engine ... or forearm engine ... or the loop ... or short hands ... etc etc etc. Connection was in reference to how well the two engines were synchronized. Connection was simply a term for how well the two engines worked together ... and they gave a check point that they referred to as the RVP Connection Point Position.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting. A connection between the 'hands' and the 'rear shoulder' through tension in the 'scap'. I appreciate that description. I would have been more impressed if you spoke of a connection between the 'hands' and the 'lower body' via the creation of tension in the rear 'scap'.

I have no interest in trying to impress you.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have no interest in trying to impress you.

Darn ... and I was so hoping to read more about your connection theory. :rolleyes:

By the way ... regarding your #2 ... "creating tension" and "connection" ... is the tension that you create the tension in the rear scap? :confused: Are you creating tension in your rear scap to connect the rear shoulder to your hands? :confused:

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"forward as we take the ball out of the glove"-

and this:

"some refer to as a 'hand-engine' ... but it is really just an arm-action that is equivalent to the start of a side-arm throw."

together might really work well in getting a hitter to feel the proper action required.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"forward as we take the ball out of the glove"-

and this:

"some refer to as a 'hand-engine' ... but it is really just an arm-action that is equivalent to the start of a side-arm throw."

together might really work well in getting a hitter to feel the proper action required.
I find it interesting that you pull these two components out. Why? Because that is what I used to instruct a team last weekend. They did great. Makes me wonder if you are one of the team coaches, or just coincidence.

Oct 4, 2018
Y'all left me behind a bit.

So you're saying the swing and the throw are similar when thinking about parts of the body moving forward while the hand(s) stay back, creating tension needed to make a proper/hard swing or throw?

If so, that clicks. If not, uh...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What do y’all teach on the negative move? Most elite hitters compress front hip and back while posting up on firm back side. My experience on teaching hip compression (coil), is that most girls will over rotate upper body. I’ve tried to teach back butt check to Pitcher during negative but that has resulted in entire front side turning toward catcher too much. May be a non teach. I’ve focused on simply sinking back knee to post up against firm backside on pitcher movement and getting into legs. What y’all think?

I use this method.
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1075643492133556229?s=21

Getting your weight into your back heel not the toes, while staying balanced. Hopefully makes sense.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I find it interesting that you pull these two components out. Why? Because that is what I used to instruct a team last weekend. They did great. Makes me wonder if you are one of the team coaches, or just coincidence.

I don't think so! LOL I was standing up in my office and tried it and said to myself "hey, that just might work." A good way to communicate hitting to a good infielder that struggles or is mechanical at the plate.

Another question for you FFS. Do you like the timing drill where the coach throws the tennis ball to the hitter in their batting stance and they turn and catch it in the would be contact position? I like mechanics but I see more girls struggling with timing. How do you teach or drill timing aspect of hitting? I like the two plates drill too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478