Just looking for thoughts and feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
The "anti-slapper" rule is definitely a blow... however there are still a lot of slappers in the game.. and they are tough outs. Speed is important in every sport.. especially in softball it can make all the difference.. slap and drag bunt put pressure on defenses. Also, slap hitters generally are high contact % hitters, very frustrating to pitch against and they drive the pitch count up. This kid has good speed, and great technique.. this should be something she should continue to work on and keep in her toolbox.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The "anti-slapper" rule is definitely a blow... however there are still a lot of slappers in the game.. and they are tough outs. Speed is important in every sport.. especially in softball it can make all the difference.. slap and drag bunt put pressure on defenses. Also, slap hitters generally are high contact % hitters, very frustrating to pitch against and they drive the pitch count up. This kid has good speed, and great technique.. this should be something she should continue to work on and keep in her toolbox.

DD has one on her team. She can see a ridiculous number of pitches and end up walking. So frustrating if you're on the other end of it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I love the rule ! Now Marty Tysons Org. has to actually teach hitting ! Ha !

edit: yes, lost some tight games to his teams bc of ‘slap’ game. Ugh.

Dec 16, 2019
Does this kid in her senior year going to play college ball?
That’s her goal. She wants to play in college next year (2021/2022). She’s planning on just playing travel through hs right up until college..... if possible. But we’re a year away so 🤞🏼 Things get better

Dec 16, 2019
a few years back this wasn’t an issue.. slappers were dominant and hard to get out without really good defense. Now the playing field has leveled with the ‘out of box’ rule enforced. A good change up and well placed heat is all it takes now. That’s been my experience. They are just a regular hitter now. No advantage.
You are absolutely correct. The out of the box rule changed everything and she struggled getting called out of the box sometimes, sometimes not, sometimes with no chalk left..... but she adjusted pretty well and now for her a well timed change up can result in a triple. Not always. But there’s not necessarily no advantage anymore ..... it’s just not as easy now. We were lucky she was just learning when the new rule came into effect, so she’s had time to work on staying in the box.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
You are absolutely correct. The out of the box rule changed everything and she struggled getting called out of the box sometimes, sometimes not, sometimes with no chalk left..... but she adjusted pretty well and now for her a well timed change up can result in a triple. Not always. But there’s not necessarily no advantage anymore ..... it’s just not as easy now. We were lucky she was just learning when the new rule came into effect, so she’s had time to work on staying in the box.
Seeing as how she can't run out and shake hands with the pitcher anymore, left foot down at contact and right hip to first base after contact?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Her bunt/slap game is excellent! Speed like that is hard to defend against.

On full swings, she lacks coil, and has a an upper-body powered swing, which is not ideal for power. There's definitely more in the tank.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

On full swings, she lacks coil, and has a an upper-body powered swing, which is not ideal for power. There's definitely more in the tank.
I was typing about the same thing. I would not have her give up slapping. She will just have to be more deliberate with her crossover. With her speed it wont matter if she is a hair slower getting out of the box. I am not crazy about her regular swing either. She hits the ball with more power when she slaps.

Dec 16, 2019
I was typing about the same thing. I would not have her give up slapping. She will just have to be more deliberate with her crossover. With her speed it wont matter if she is a hair slower getting out of the box. I am not crazy about her regular swing either. She hits the ball with more power when she slaps.
This is exactly the feedback I’m looking for. And you guys are spot on..... those are the things she was working on before COVID stopped lessons and practices. She’s not crazy about her hitting away either and it frustrates her. She’s a hard worker though and I’m sure she’ll keep at it and improve. She’s been playing for six years now. Started slapping three years ago. It’s a long process. I was proud when she we decided to only slap. She didn’t let all the strike outs and bad timing and lower averages discourage her. I don’t think she’ll change back to right handed hitting but there’s still a lot more she can work on and improve on.

May 12, 2016

Agreed on both accounts.. she could be very scary to defend against, much more left in the tank. I wouldn't want to be playing the corners against this kid if she gets her full swing figured out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478