Just looking for thoughts and feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Sorry Sky,

I had 2 slappers on my 18u team last fall. Would hit everything but the change up. Had no answer for the change when they couldn’t extend their timing mechanism. As you know, the higher you go.. the better the off speed gets.

Aug 20, 2017
not anymore. ever seen a slapper against a change up with the rules enforced? They look worse than an ABAF hitter. Well thats exactly what they are, just multiply by 10.
Ok, just hit like a normal lefty! Don’t slap! Don’t try to figure out the changeup! Hope she hits bombs

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is still big value in slapping with her speed. She can take a slower more deliberate step over. And besides they can't throw all change ups.

May 12, 2016
Take Julrays advice. Soft slap, power slap, slash and slap, slash and slap bunt, slap bunt, read the defense, learn to hit curve balls inside (that’s where I pitch slappers), and every now and then just swing away as a lefty! These types of players are the hardest to defend in fast pitch softball
Hey CB, I believe that was was RollingHard that said that. However I can’t disagree... good lord she’s lightning down the first base line... absolute nightmare defending against that

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
There is still big value in slapping with her speed. She can take a slower more deliberate step over. And besides they can't throw all change ups.
If it gets too tough for her, maybe she could pick up some tricks from the best slapper/bunter of all time.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This has been a fun post heymousey. Thank you.

Natasha Watley has some nice stuff going on if anyone is looking for slap hitting instruction.

Edit:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
Thank you all so much for your positivity and feedback and for participating in the discussion. It was fun. I hope to post more about this kid soon.

Nov 16, 2017
Sorry Sky,

I had 2 slappers on my 18u team last fall. Would hit everything but the change up. Had no answer for the change when they couldn’t extend their timing mechanism. As you know, the higher you go.. the better the off speed gets.

First of all she looks real good slapping. I don't know much about that technique. I never studied it and have no one on my teams that does it.

I know what W=w is talking about as far as pitching against them though. I call high heat up high out of the zone as the setup pitch and then C/U in the zone. I go back and forth between the two and if makes life real hard on them.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
First of all she looks real good slapping. I don't know much about that technique. I never studied it and have no one on my teams that does it.

I know what W=w is talking about as far as pitching against them though. I call high heat up high out of the zone as the setup pitch and then C/U in the zone. I go back and forth between the two and if makes life real hard on them.

a few years back this wasn’t an issue.. slappers were dominant and hard to get out without really good defense. Now the playing field has leveled with the ‘out of box’ rule enforced. A good change up and well placed heat is all it takes now. That’s been my experience. They are just a regular hitter now. No advantage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom