Just have to vent! I am done with softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
DD has been playing select since she was 7. We have to constantly deal with poorly managed teams, bad communications, dad coaches, and biased coaching. We pay for weekly pitching and batting lessons. DD's stats are very good. She can pitch fast ball, changeup, drop, rise, curve, and screw. She just switched to 12" ball easily and pitches it faster than when she was with the 11". Yet, for some reason, the coaches wouldn't pitch her except perhaps 1 inning every 3/4 games. And when she had her 1 inning, she'd strike out a batter or 2, and the rest would hit some weak ground ball or foul out. The only time someone got on base was when DD's teammate made an error, which was fine since it's 12U after all. I guess that's not good enough for them. Yet, they didn't even give me the courtesy to let me know to stop her pitching lessons. I am done paying for them, and I am done wasting my and DD's time with extra practicing either. This is the same team and coaches who pitched her as a 2nd pitcher last year and used her as a relief pitcher when the starting pitcher got in trouble. Numerous times they would put DD in when bases were fully-loaded, 0/1 out, and she'd come in and end the trouble inning quickly. That's the thanks she gets from her own coaches.

If we don't find another team to go to, which there aren't that many good ones in the area, she's switching to another sport. We are looking into lacrosse or tennis. A few parents had mentioned that many girls ended up switching to lacrosse after playing softball for a few years, and now I know why.

Just have to vent.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jun 12, 2015
Do you think there will be fewer of those issues in any other sport? It doesn't seem very likely. In softball pitchers are worth their weight in gold if they're any good. If she's as good as you say surely there's a team that would like her to be one of their top pitchers.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been through all that, tried to have DD switch organizations a few times. She will not move, she is happy.

I am done with it, just occasionally complain about it on this board. It is that or see if my insurance company pays for sports DD parent therapists for me.

Apr 11, 2016
Do you think there will be fewer of those issues in any other sport? It doesn't seem very likely. In softball pitchers are worth their weight in gold if they're any good. If she's as good as you say surely there's a team that would like her to be one of their top pitchers.

DD used to swim, and it was coached by professional. The only issue was sitting around waiting for her turn to swim. But it was actually fun when we started helping out with timing and computer. She decided to quit out of the blue. I wish she just stay with that instead. She also played tennis, also coached by professionals. She was very good, but we ran out of opportents for her, and they had to play her (7 at that time) against 10/11 yr olds. Plus, softball consumed her time. She picked softball over tennis back then. Maybe she should go back to tennis.

Feb 26, 2018
My DD isn't a pitcher, but I can understand your frustrations. My DD is/was a catcher. She was the #1 catcher on her team last year, but once we moved outside in the spring, the #2 catcher got the majority of the innings because the coach said he needed her speed in the OF. I could see where he was coming from, but my DD had a better arm, better mechanics, framing, etc. I don't know if he was getting pressure from the #2's dad, which I think it was, but whatever. DD is on a new team this year with some amazing players and won't even be catching at all and when I ask her, she says she's happy and she just wants to win. She's still going to go to catching clinics and all that because she enjoys it and it's a good thing to have in your back pocket. It's not something I think she should give up on, but it isn't the end all be all of her playing softball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If we don't find another team to go to, which there aren't that many good ones in the area, she's switching to another sport. We are looking into lacrosse or tennis. A few parents had mentioned that many girls ended up switching to lacrosse after playing softball for a few years, and now I know why.

Just have to vent.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have to ask - why aren't you coaching since you believe everyone they are incompetent? That is generally how a lot of teams get formed in these age groups good or bad.

Every post you have made here has to been to complain about your DD's coaches. Coaches just don't stop using a pitcher unless there is a a stated reason - there are very few teams that have REAL pitching depth. She is in 12U so she is not really at an age to advocate for herself yet, so what have the coaches told you when you asked? What have they told her? Is there just better pitching? Is she really better at a different position? What else is going on. There is a lot of missing information.

Without knowing their side or their version all I will just evoke the JJSqueeze rule:

"If you are thinking of changing teams to a point of posting it online it is worth changing teams to see if the crazy stays behind and it was them or if it goes with you and it was you."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28