Just for fun: Critique this obstruction call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
Guys, I am impressed ... or disappointed. ;)

Nobody wants to make the argument for second base? I had three umpires in the “locker room” (air quotes, of course) adamant that she should get “the base she was headed to during the obstruction.”

No coaches or parents here want to plead that case? :)

Surprisingly, the offense did not try to make the argument for second base either. Not sure if the coaches were up to speed on the rule or if they were just satisfied that she wasn’t out. I really expected them to come out and try to get second base out of it.

Anyway ... You all nailed it. Obstruction (in USA Softball) is NOT an award of bases. It is protection from being called out between the bases where the obstruction occurred. The umpire then has the discretion to place the runner.

To me, since she was dancing and juking to draw the throw, I think the only way she would have made it to second is with an errant throw. Since she was obstructed though, she now could not be called out between first and second base (on that play of course).

Now, had she flat out broke for second on a steal attempt, I would view it differently.

I think I would have argued....politely....that she was on her way to 2nd base when the obstruction occurred and would have been safe had it not been for the obstruction. Of course it also depends on where exactly the runner was when obstruction occurred. Was she more than half way and reasonable that she would have been able to get to the bag before the throw from F3 back to 2nd base?

I like this game.....should have the Blues in the group start a stump the ump segment where you throw out these scenarios for us to learn from. Thanks for the education!

May 29, 2015
:) Finally! ;)

No, there is no way (in my judgment) she would have been safe on her own at second if the obstruction had not occurred. The obstruction was fairly minor (but obstruction nonetheless) about 20-25 feet from first base. She was banking on an errant throw to occur.

The location of the obstruction and/or direction of the runner do not have any rule-based baring on the call. They may be things for the umpire to consider though.

I’ll post another weird one for daave (and anybody else!).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It seems to me like once the rundown started the only way she was getting out of it, to either 2nd base or back to 1st, was on an errant throw or dropped catch, so I don't understand the reason for putting her at 1st.

As there is no automatic base reward, the calling umpire can only place her on the base they believe she would have safely reached if there was no obstruction. And since she is safe from being out between the bases, if it is not clear she would have advanced a base you put her back where she was (i..e no gain in bases). In this case 1st base.

You have to be there to make the call on what base you put the runner on - but in my experience, in most rundown/pickle scenarios if the fielders are doing even a half decent job of being in position, the runner normally ends up back on her original base unless the obstruction is basically stopping the runner from getting to the base.

Jun 7, 2019
but in my experience, in most rundown/pickle scenarios if the fielders are doing even a half decent job of being in position, the runner normally ends up back on her original base unless the obstruction is basically stopping the runner from getting to the base.

Yup. Sounds right to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee