Just for fun 2: Another odd obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
When two runners occupy the same base, at what point is the trailing runner 'out'? Does the ball have to be brought to the bag for a tag?

Is it worth it to tell your runners (in practice) that you want the better base runner to be safe and for the other to give herself up when both are occupying the same base?

May 29, 2015
It’s going to depend on your rule set ... the common perception is the trail runner is always out, but that is not always true.

When is she out? When she is tagged. The base is not a safe haven for a runner who should not be there. Yes, there must be a tag with the ball for an out.

I suppose you could make the decision if you are quick enough to get one of the runners off the bag before the tag. If they get tagged on the base, you don’t get to pick.

Jun 7, 2019
When two runners occupy the same base, at what point is the trailing runner 'out'? Does the ball have to be brought to the bag for a tag?

Yes, the runner has to be tagged.

Is it worth it to tell your runners (in practice) that you want the better base runner to be safe and for the other to give herself up when both are occupying the same base?

No! There's never enough time at practice for all that needs to be done. Ask yourself how many times you've had 2 runners standing on the same bag. For most age levels, 'seldom' would be the answer, so no need to practice for that. In case your kids are really young, my answer would be 'no' here as well. If they're that young, there's a lot more important things to teach them. Plus, they're no doubt not savvy enough to get it right after getting wrong the much easier job of not having 2 runners standing on the same base at the same time.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
The only time I expect to see two on a base is when the trailing runners fill the bases during a pickle and the runner in the pickle somehow manages to get back to a base safely. We consider the runner in a pickle dead and coach our girls to move up to the base that is open.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ask yourself how many times you've had 2 runners standing on the same bag. For most age levels, 'seldom' would be the answer, so no need to practice for that. In case your kids are really young, my answer would be 'no' here as well. If they're that young, there's a lot more important things to teach them. Plus, they're no doubt not savvy enough to get it right after getting wrong the much easier job of not having 2 runners standing on the same base at the same time.

Not only this, but whenever I see the situation occur, what should happen (both runners stay on the base, concede the out) is not what actually happens (everybody freaks out, both runners decide to vacate the base, and sometimes this results in everybody being out and sometimes it confuses the defense so badly that a ball gets thrown into the outfield somewhere).

This is only something worth teaching your infielders (I say "just tag them both" because we have way more important things to spend time explaining/teaching).

May 29, 2015
Not only this, but whenever I see the situation occur, what should happen (both runners stay on the base, concede the out) is not what actually happens (everybody freaks out, both runners decide to vacate the base, and sometimes this results in everybody being out and sometimes it confuses the defense so badly that a ball gets thrown into the outfield somewhere).

Sounds about right to me. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

This is only something worth teaching your infielders (I say "just tag them both" because we have way more important things to spend time explaining/teaching).

Yep, chaos and screaming parents and coaches and confused looking runners and... Always fun.

My THIRD game umpiring - 10U travel, 1st bracket game. No outs, runners on 2nd and third.... balls gets put in play and the infield starts booting it around.... and I look up and see all three runners are standing on third together. Ball ends up over at third and the fielder has it... she looks at her coach who says "Tag them all, let the umpire figure it out"

Last edited:

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
At the instant time of obstruction, the umpire will protect the obstructed runner to the base, the umpire believes this runner would have obtained without obstruction. This could be either 3rd or home. Waiting for the play to develop is incorrect. All other runners will advance to the base depending where the umpire places the obstructed runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28