Just an interesting note about side arm throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2014
So, my DD came home from a pre-school ball work out the other day, she was a bit annoyed at the new JV Coach. He had told her to not throw sidearm while fielding. (also he told all the girls there that "masks are not needed in the infield except pitcher" but thats another rant for another day) When he asked what position she played and she told him 2b he said "oh well you REALLY need to not throw sidearm then!" Now my DD can throw from any arm slot, but mainly throws sidearm/ 3/4th slot - she will throw overhand when in the outfield. Needless to say - I have always told her its fine, but I was feeling a bit jaded , probably because of the mask remark in addition to that and had some time to kill at work so I streamed OU vs UoF 5ish hour Game 1 of the championship series from last year and recorded these statistics.

In the game there were 30 fieldable ground balls hit over the course of 5 hours - now this is a small sample size, but you will get the idea.

Out of the 30 fieldable balls 77% of the balls were thrown sidearm (or damn near it, there is a chance that it was closer to 3/4 slot on a few of them)

so - 23 out of 30 balls thrown sidearm - because overhand is TOO SLOW in most situations

Out of the rest -

2 were underhand tosses
5 were overhand throws - out of these 5, 2 were combackers to the pitcher, 1 was thrown from the ground at an angle that would prevent a sidearm throw - and..

2 - only two - were standard plays to the infield - 2 hard hit balls directly at the shortstop with slower runners that she could have ran to the concession stand and got a drink and came back and still threw the girls out.

The 3b and 2b never threw a ball overhand the entire game.

Now I didnt go back and tell him this - but my DD did feel a bit vindicated - and will continue to throw as the play dictates going foward

/rant

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
I love that you actually tracked the numbers! Our last HS Varsity coach tried to preach the same thing (did not understand rm slots at all) despite all video evidence, common sense or even game results to the contrary. How often must we really tell our kids to politely nod OK and go ahead and do what you know it is right? Not that anyone ever does that....

Apr 20, 2015
So, my DD came home from a preschool ball work out the other day, she was a bit annoyed at the new JV Coach. He had told her to not throw sidearm while fielding. (also he told all the girls there that "masks are needed in the infield except pitcher" but thats another rant for another day) When he asked what position she played and she told him 2b he said "oh well you REALLY need to not throw sidearm then!" Now my DD can throw from any arm slot, but mainly throws sidearm/ 3/4th slot - she will throw overhand when in the outfield. Needless to say - I have always told her its fine, but I was feeling a bit jaded , probably because of the mask remark in addition to that and had some time to kill at work so I streamed OU vs UoF 5ish hour Game 1 of the championship series from last year and recorded these statistics.

In the game there were 30 fieldable ground balls hit over the course of 5 hours - now this is a small sample size, but you will get the idea.

Out of the 30 fieldable balls 77% of the balls were thrown sidearm (or damn near it, there is a chance that it was closer to 3/4 slot on a few of them)

so - 23 out of 30 balls thrown sidearm - because overhand is TOO SLOW in most situations

Out of the rest -

2 were underhand tosses
5 were overhand throws - out of these 5, 2 were combackers to the pitcher, 1 was thrown from the ground at an angle that would prevent a sidearm throw - and..

2 - only two - were standard plays to the infield - 2 hard hit balls directly at the shortstop with slower runners that she could have ran to the concession stand and got a drink and came back and still threw the girls out.

The 3b and 2b never threw a ball overhand the entire game.

Now I didnt go back and tell him this - but my DD did feel a bit vindicated - and will continue to throw as the play dictates going foward

/rant
My daughter is a young 11u infielder who is being taught these different arm slots. What I've noticed is she's not switching back when just doing warm up throws and drills including long toss before games. Do I need to be concerned about her not coming over the top on the longer throws as far as arm soreness and injury? When she does on rare occasion play outfield or have to make a long throw after a cut she does generally throw "correctly"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

May 28, 2014
My daughter is a young 11u infielder who is being taught these different arm slots. What I've noticed is she's not switching back when just doing warm up throws and drills including long toss before games. Do I need to be concerned about her not coming over the top on the longer throws as far as arm soreness and injury? When she does on rare occasion play outfield or have to make a long throw after a cut she does generally throw "correctly"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would have her work all of them - my DD throws overhand and sidearm in warm ups - and make sure that she is throwing sidearm correctly, a lot of younger girls tend to get under the ball and can tweak their elbow - we dont want that - they have to be behind the ball on the throw. She will need to be able to adjust in the future - you can't get enough on the ball from a deep outfield throw going sidearm.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol! I love this thread. Earlier this week DD was scolded in practice for doing this exact thing. Some background.... I have been a travel ball coach for several years. Currently coaching a combination 18u/23u team with several girls currently playing in college. I helped the high school program the last couple of years as a volunteer assistant. I told the head coach in the fall that I was unable to continue in that role due to my work schedule, so she hired another coach to fill the slot. Apparently this new coach feels that different arm slots should never be utilized under any circumstances. DD was taking some ground balls at 3b when the coach asked the players to 'turn 2'. Ground ball directly at her, she fielded it cleanly, and quickly threw to 2nd base with a near side arm type slot (exactly how I would do that particular throw). This is something we have been working on since 12u. Anyway this new coach proceeded to make his point. "That's the worst arm angle I have ever seen!! I know several college coaches and they would never even look at a player that throws like that." DD just shrugged it off. Personally, I found the story amusing when she told me about it. I agree with your assessment of the arm angles and teach them the same way. It is important for the fielder to assess the situation prior to the throw and adjust as needed to make the play. Thanks for sharing. This definitely brightened my day!!

Sep 29, 2014
This is just a nod and smile situation...if you are not throwing the ball all over the place who cares. Personally I throw about a 3/4 slot as do I think most people most of the time...given certain situations in a softball infield a little lower and closer to sidearm makes the most sense simply given where the ball is...best throw I ever saw my DD make was a full speed charge from 3B down the line reach down bare hand the ball on the run and throw it from maybe a foot off the ground nice hard strike right to the 1B glove. If she stands up to throw overhand there is not even a point to throwing by the time you stand up to throw the girl is standing on first base. Now conversely on a throw from the outfield you are going to be a lot closer to overhand although I still think its maybe 4/5 or 5/6 whatever you want to call it and never truly overhand. Maybe if its hit hard to 2B and the runner is slow she has time humor the coach and get up straight and make a "good" throw otherwise get the ball out as quickly and cleanly as you can throwing whatever arm angle give you the best chance to make the out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Telling them to not throw side arm is easier than teaching how to properly throw from different arm slots, so, you know...

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
DD plays second. She throws side/3/4 arm all the time on a grounder, especially with a fast runner. Third charging a bunt, short stop fielding a ball and going to 2nd. All kinds of times when it is appropriate imo.

Now on to the side rant. ..Did you tell DD to wear the mask and just nod and say dad says I am wearing it? DD's teeth costed around 4k to straighten with braces. Until coach is footing the bill, he doesn't decide if dd is protecting her face or not.

May 28, 2014
Absolutely. I told her she can throw how she is suppose to and wear a mask and play modified instead of playing JV if he has a problem with it - he wont be the coach next year anyway (she is an 8th grader) I have zero patience with that kinds of old school thinking. The game is evolving, time to evolve with it. She won't even warm up without it.

DD plays second. She throws side/3/4 arm all the time on a grounder, especially with a fast runner. Third charging a bunt, short stop fielding a ball and going to 2nd. All kinds of times when it is appropriate imo.

Now on to the side rant. ..Did you tell DD to wear the mask and just nod and say dad says I am wearing it? DD's teeth costed around 4k to straighten with braces. Until coach is footing the bill, he doesn't decide if dd is protecting her face or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802