Jump from 10u to 12u hitting...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2019
So my 11u daughter has always been the bigger stronger more consistent hitter on our team all through 10u. But now we are in 12u and I thought the rubber distance and the ball size wouldn't mess with her to much. And it could very well be that the pitchers are better and can spin it better but at the end of the day she gets jammed up over and over. What can we do to help her get the barrel on the ball. And when she does barrel it up it sounds like mush and no it's not the ball. Just wanting some thoughts.. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2019
So my 11u daughter has always been the bigger stronger more consistent hitter on our team all through 10u. But now we are in 12u and I thought the rubber distance and the ball size wouldn't mess with her to much. And it could very well be that the pitchers are better and can spin it better but at the end of the day she gets jammed up over and over. What can we do to help her get the barrel on the ball. And when she does barrel it up it sounds like mush and no it's not the ball. Just wanting some thoughts.. thank you

Stand back off the plate more and lay-off pitches on the inside half until you have time to work on some inside hitting drills.
As you age-up pitchers will hit their spots more consistently and as you mentioned have better spin/movement and change speeds.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The bigger and heavier ball makes a difference. The swings that could drive an 11" ball into the OF often don't have the power to get the 12" ball past the dirt.

If you're interest in some input on her mechanics, and some areas she can improve, please post video of her swing.

Apr 16, 2013
Well I would love to do that but I can't figure out how lol

The simplest way is to take a video from the side (with your phone) of her swinging either in a cage or on the field. (BP or live pitching) Then go to youtube (setup an account if you haven't already) and upload the video you took. After you upload it you'll get a link to the video. Post that here. One of the kind folks here will usually make a gif of one of her swings and post it in the thread.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I dont think she is jammed up. I think she is early, cant wait and let it travel. She swing down and across her body. She has a nice stance and looks strong enough to be hitting for power. Level bat and close to bat drag.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The first thing that jumps out at me is that she looks like a strong kid with some very good quickness.

As for her swing, there is a strong DBSF (Drop the Barrel and Swing Flat) pattern tendency. In other words, she's dropping her hands and bringing the barrel of the bat to the level of the pitch, and then swinging in flat (level to the ground) plane. Despite being a bigger, stronger girl, she's not getting the most from her body, and is powering the swing primarily with her arms. We want to get away from the idea of swinging the bat around the spine, move the center of the bat's rotation to the hands, and take the arm action out of the swing. We also want to get away from the concept of swinging level with the ground, or that the hands should be at the level of the ball at contact. We want to see the swing working on a diagonal plane that will tilt more or less depending on pitch location, and working on conjunction with the plane of the shoulders. Hands will be above the ball at contact. An example...

I would introduce the idea of learning to use the hands/forearms to turn the barrel to the ball with work like this...

EDIT: Phone video tip... Turn your phone sideways. ;)

Sep 29, 2014
I'm seconding her DBSF issue. Thanks for posting the video I think we can easily say at least one issue is identified.

She really has to keep her hands above the ball!! the point at which keeping your hands above the ball becomes more and more difficult mean the pitch is getting high enough for you to not swing. I would start with some low tee drills to get her to understand the concept.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee