Jump Boxes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
DDs PC suggested she start doing box jumps to strengthen her legs / core. Any suggestions on brand or height to get started? (assuming DD will progress and use different heights at some point).

DD is 12 and know you pay for quality but looking for something affordable as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
We have this one, been happy with it. the tallest side is a bit unstable, but I think that's expected.
Use it sometimes for pitching drills also.

Edit: keeps trying to change my link to media....
Code:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B084NTG92Y/

Jan 25, 2022
I built one of the 3 height boxes a few years ago using plans I found online. Depending on which way you flip it, you get 20, 24, or 30 inch jump height. I'm a novice at building things with wood, for the most part, and I didn't have any trouble. I used true plywood so it's heavy as lead. You don't want a light box, though. Light boxes slide around and are easy to tip over. If you want something that will grow with her and take up less space, go with a 3 sided box. I think I was able to build the whole thing with one sheet of plywood and half a 2 x 4 (internal bracing). IF you wanna buy one, they're in the $125 range.

Just an FYI...don't do rebound jumps. They're pretty well proven to be very hard on the achilles tendon, and resulting in a lot of ruptures. Jump up and step down, or jump back down, but don't rebound back up.

Oct 26, 2019
I built one of the 3 height boxes a few years ago using plans I found online. Depending on which way you flip it, you get 20, 24, or 30 inch jump height. I'm a novice at building things with wood, for the most part, and I didn't have any trouble. I used true plywood so it's heavy as lead. You don't want a light box, though. Light boxes slide around and are easy to tip over. If you want something that will grow with her and take up less space, go with a 3 sided box. I think I was able to build the whole thing with one sheet of plywood and half a 2 x 4 (internal bracing). IF you wanna buy one, they're in the $125 range.

Just an FYI...don't do rebound jumps. They're pretty well proven to be very hard on the achilles tendon, and resulting in a lot of ruptures. Jump up and step down, or jump back down, but don't rebound back up.
This is good advice on preventing injury. Please do your research on box jumps and injuries. I see a lot of people putting kids at unnecessary risk doing improper box jumps.

Feb 25, 2020
I think Knees over toes guy has really good stuff. The reverse step ups (step downs) and ATG split squats should be done every day as a mobility/strength/nervous system training thing. They are not taxing(like a box jump) but are much better for overall performance IMO. They are scale-able and can be very challenging.

Edit: these are "static" exercises that provide much more benefit with much less risk IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
This is good advice on preventing injury. Please do your research on box jumps and injuries. I see a lot of people putting kids at unnecessary risk doing improper box jumps.

As many box jumps as I've done over the years, I'll still heed this additional advice. I really don't want to put my kids at risk. HC was talking about hittin the weight room, but I'm hesitant to put progressive loading on an 11-13 year old. I've read research through the years about keeping kids away from heavy lifting until over 13 anyway. We can make a lot of progress staying at or below 50-60% of peak.

Jun 13, 2022
Если вас беспокоит кишечные паразиты, вы можете задаться вопросом, может ли какая -либо натуральная медицина помочь восстановить ваше здоровье.
Избавиться от глистов.

rychnovskypruvodce.info

Apr 8, 2019
As many box jumps as I've done over the years, I'll still heed this additional advice. I really don't want to put my kids at risk. HC was talking about hittin the weight room, but I'm hesitant to put progressive loading on an 11-13 year old. I've read research through the years about keeping kids away from heavy lifting until over 13 anyway. We can make a lot of progress staying at or below 50-60% of peak.
Do you recall where you saw that research? I'd like to read it. Everything I have found said something along the line of weight training for kids is fine. They will not have the hormone profile to progress very far, but they will get stronger and improve their movement patterns.

Jan 25, 2022
Do you recall where you saw that research? I'd like to read it. Everything I have found said something along the line of weight training for kids is fine. They will not have the hormone profile to progress very far, but they will get stronger and improve their movement patterns.
It was a looong time ago, and i've never looked into it again. And if I recall correctly, it was regarding heavy lifting. I wouldn't have our kids doing much heavier than something they can bang out 3 sets of 10-15 reps anyway. Strength gains can be had that way for a long time. None of them are close to their current capabilities anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28