July Tryouts + August extended season = recipe for disaster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In GA, gotta get the tryouts going pretty quickly because school ball starts soon. Our first game (God willing) is scheduled for August 6. Most of the big orgs have tryouts on the weekend of August 9. Most everyone will be wrapped up by end of August.

Jul 28, 2019
Anyone else thinking that having traditionally timed end of July tryouts (at least here in Northeast) in combination with the covid-driven extended season into August is a recipe for potential bitterness, hurt feelings, and a whole lot of awkward?

Thinking of girls who switch teams but still have a month on their old team...and other weird combinations (girl who tries out for her current team but doesn't make it and still has a month to play with them).

I think there's going to be a whole lot of character testing (from coaches, parents and players).
In southeastern MA, my daughters' organization is having tryouts on August 4, 5 and 6. They have decided not to do any more tournaments (or "competitions" as they are referred to this summer in Massachusetts) after those dates. My 12U daughter had one weekend of games (and no more on the horizon), and the 10U daughter had none (with ZERO practices since the Covid shutdown). Needless to say, they won't be trying out for that organization again. A lot of the other tryouts seem to be later in August or possibly early September for RI and MA teams that are in our vicinity.

Dec 30, 2018
My daughter's team is purposely not extending their season for this exact reason. They see no point in shortening next year especially at this years expense. Her tryouts start next week.

Now my son's team is having 9u tryouts tonight and tomorrow and will be finishing their 8u season at the end of August. So it will be interesting too see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Pretty much every 08 team in OK besides my DD's and another team is having open tryouts the next few weeks. However the difference between DD's team and the other team is the other team is actually good... :sneaky:

Apr 26, 2015
Ha - I wish tryouts were later! In CO tryouts have been going on since the beginning of July. DD's coach will not be coaching next year so all the girls needed to find new teams so it worked out for us - but it was still awkward with everyone going different directions. DD had an out of state tourney a couple weekends ago and it was so strange with parents getting up and taking calls (from coaches) and having little side conversations with their daughters. I honestly wish there was some way to prevent tryouts from happening until after Nationals. Our local board doesn't allow tryout postings until a certain date but Facebook postings start weeks earlier. By the time the "official" posting date rolls around it is usually just teams needing random players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
It’s still full on crazy tryout season in CT with games still happening, girls skipping practices to go to tryouts, private tryouts, schedules shifting, offers being made with ridiculous time limits, side conversations, parents trying to figure out where others are going and if their DD should stay, follow or stake out somewhere new.

Fortunately we’re done - found a really happy home for DD, playing up, great coach in a program we’ve played against and admired for years, with 2 friends going with her.

In a weird twist we play this orgs 12u team on Wed as our final game against the coach she’ll be moving up with.

Looking fwd to the fall, and good luck to anybody still navigating this nonsense...

Apr 26, 2015
Don't switch teams.... of if you do don't say anything until you must.

DD's friend tried to keep things quiet when she decided to switch teams but the softball world is so small. Someone knew someone who saw her friend at a tryout and pretty soon the entire team and coaches knew and were furious at DD's friend for keeping them in the dark. It's a tricky, slippery slope for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 4, 2020
Exact thing happened to us that OP mentioned as an example. Michigan and we have 3 tournaments left including states. My COVID hit in March. Finally got started and have had 3 tournaments.

Yesterday was the tryout date for the organization. She wanted to stay with team. Coach emailed us the morning of tryouts and said he's not offering her a spot next year but she can stay on the team for the next 3 tournaments. She was devestated. We are big on commitments but with the extended season she now would be playing on a team she had no future for, meanwhile most tryouts have taken place for a lot of places or are during scheduled league games or tournament weekends. She made the decision to end now.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Exact thing happened to us that OP mentioned as an example. Michigan and we have 3 tournaments left including states. My COVID hit in March. Finally got started and have had 3 tournaments.

Yesterday was the tryout date for the organization. She wanted to stay with team. Coach emailed us the morning of tryouts and said he's not offering her a spot next year but she can stay on the team for the next 3 tournaments. She was devestated. We are big on commitments but with the extended season she now would be playing on a team she had no future for, meanwhile most tryouts have taken place for a lot of places or are during scheduled league games or tournament weekends. She made the decision to end now.
I would have done the same thing. If I know that I am not needed, and there is no benefit in staying....Deuces!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802