July Tryouts + August extended season = recipe for disaster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Anyone else thinking that having traditionally timed end of July tryouts (at least here in Northeast) in combination with the covid-driven extended season into August is a recipe for potential bitterness, hurt feelings, and a whole lot of awkward?

Thinking of girls who switch teams but still have a month on their old team...and other weird combinations (girl who tries out for her current team but doesn't make it and still has a month to play with them).

I think there's going to be a whole lot of character testing (from coaches, parents and players).

Apr 25, 2019
At least down here in the south, seasons are winding down. If you look at the tournaments in August, there are next to zero teams registered. You may see a couple of successful ones but for the most part it is tryout season and it's just too freakin' hot.

May 6, 2015
here in NJ, tryouts seem to be getting pushed out to august mostly. many orgs have not even posted them yet. Dds team isstaying 12u, she has to move up, so she has already had one tryout, and we are talking to a few other teams.

Nov 18, 2015
I agree - August is definitely going to be awkward - especially for teams moving up that may need to leave a girl off the roster. We just played Nationals, but the State tournament is still 2 weeks away. Tryouts are next week, last tournament is mid-August. I'm sure there's going to be more than a few teams playing in August with players who already were told they don't have a spot on the team come Fall. 10U or 18U, that's a difficult conversation all around for everyone involved.

The only "positive" is the possibility of adding a new player to the roster for the final tournaments (if the rosters aren't locked - not sure how that works exactly).

Dec 15, 2018
CT
here in NJ, tryouts seem to be getting pushed out to august mostly. many orgs have not even posted them yet. Dds team isstaying 12u, she has to move up, so she has already had one tryout, and we are talking to a few other teams.

Interesting. In CT/NY they are already starting this week, with a ton next week.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
All the legit programs start their tryouts the week or two after the last national tourney. This year is a little different with the last tourney being the Texas Fastpitch League Championship being held the first week of August. After that you can start hosting tryouts. It's an unwritten rule and you if break it the softball Illuminati will come down on your hard. The fall season then starts in September.

Aug 25, 2019
Well since nothing traditional about this year, I believe tryouts around here are going to be in the last week or so in August.

Feb 26, 2018
Tryouts here in Michigan are next week and some are already happening. Going to make it interesting since our state tournament is now the 3rd weekend in Aug along with some other rescheduled tournaments. The big orgs here didn't want to move tryouts, so they're driving the crazy bus.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Ive noticed tryouts were typically toward the end of July, first week of August as well. I'm thinking that some teams are having tryouts earlier and earlier in order to try to get ahead of other teams. Ive seen postings for tryouts that started the week after the 4th, which to me was crazy. Guess it really just depends on when teams ended their seasons this year.

Apr 1, 2017
I don't know about disaster, but it's definitely a little strange. I've seen Facebook posts for tryouts happening as early as tonight. However, with the extended season and trying to make up for the lost May/early June, we have games until August 9th. I'm thankful that for the most part, my group is staying together for next season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478