Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
For a practical teaching purpose what I like to teach is a distinction between toe touch and heel strike. This sequence helps the batter understand the timing and allows them a way to bail when needed.

So I teach the gather into the back hip. Key on this phase is seeing the front heel start pointing out toward 3rd/ss. This creates a transfer of energy to the back foot.

Then I teach making the move forward to toe touch. This forward move is where the scap load\separation happens. Player is only supposed to get their front toe only down here. Weight is still really in the back foot.

And from here, toe touch to heel strike is when the player turns the barrel. They turn the barrel by moving the front elbow up and the back elbow down. Toe touch to heel strike.

As per the original article the op posted the player can still bail at this time. From this point is when the batter commits.

So getting to toe touch is the adjustment of pitch speed.

Toe to heel is when the player adjust their posture to the pitch height and turns the barrel to a ready to fire position.

At decision to fire weight is transferred from back to front as the swing happens.

About the time the bat gets to its lowest point of the swing the weight then starts transferring back to the back foot toe.

This creates a rocking effect that builds the most energy possible.

I tell my players to pick up their front toe as you can see in elite hitters doing the same.

I guess the point of all this regarding the 1 foot vs 2 foot thing is..... it's both. Transferring energy from the front to back then back to front then front to back again is what creates the maximum force.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hard to believe. I thought 1-legged hitters didn't even have obliques.

They have them but don't use them like the best did.. Bonds is falling into his legs in preparation for the oblique contraction, Rich's student is busy slipping the hip.

FP26, hopefully you are willing to open your eyes and feels to what the best are doing.

XRu9Pmv.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
They have them but don't use them like the best did.. Bonds is falling into his legs in preparation for the oblique contraction, Rich's student is busy slipping the hip.

FP26, hopefully you are willing to open your eyes and feels to what the best are doing.

XRu9Pmv.gif

I have no issue with using the obliques. Never have... Nice try though.

May 3, 2014
Strawman. The sad part is you know that the kid in the red shirt was just starting out changing his swing. Plus he is in a low effort setting compared to a game swing by Bonds. Plus, you are pretty much the only person out there who doesn't view Judge as one of the best in the game right now. He has had enough at bats over the last 3 years to prove he isn't the next Joe Charboneau. So, if he is considered one of the best and you try and swing it the way he does then you have your eyes open to what the best are doing.

Plus, there is a guy down in Texas teaching a lot of kids to swing it this way and they are crushing it. Another guy in Penn doing the same thing, One in Jersey. A player in the Giants org that you know was/is heavily influenced by the same method. Etc, etc. But, they should listen to you? C'mon man...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Man, you are stuck on one thing huh? The foot lands when the foot lands. It's not about being on one leg at launch lol.

11:13 mark.

‘When he launches the foot comes down’
‘There foot is coming down as they swing’
‘ I think the swing puts the foot down’

A match.

So once again going by his demos. And his words. He is incorrect. The swing doesn’t put the foot down.

JDs foot get down before any ‘TTB’ happens.

Shift then swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What I said was you base the timing of your swing initiation (negative move) and move out upon what you see on the on deck circle regarding the pitcher's fastball..I said nothing about when you get the foot down. I never ever ever ever ever worried about when it got down..it got down when it needed to.

Well I guess matching isn’t what is important anymore.

How many times have you heard a pro say ‘I gotta get my foot down on time’?

How many facts and statements by the pros are we going to ignore?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
For a practical teaching purpose what I like to teach is a distinction between toe touch and heel strike. This sequence helps the batter understand the timing and allows them a way to bail when needed.

So I teach the gather into the back hip. Key on this phase is seeing the front heel start pointing out toward 3rd/ss. This creates a transfer of energy to the back foot.

View attachment 14059

Then I teach making the move forward to toe touch. This forward move is where the scap load\separation happens. Player is only supposed to get their front toe only down here. Weight is still really in the back foot.

View attachment 14060

And from here, toe touch to heel strike is when the player turns the barrel. They turn the barrel by moving the front elbow up and the back elbow down. Toe touch to heel strike.
View attachment 14061

As per the original article the op posted the player can still bail at this time. From this point is when the batter commits.

So getting to toe touch is the adjustment of pitch speed.

Toe to heel is when the player adjust their posture to the pitch height and turns the barrel to a ready to fire position.

At decision to fire weight is transferred from back to front as the swing happens.

About the time the bat gets to its lowest point of the swing the weight then starts transferring back to the back foot toe.

This creates a rocking effect that builds the most energy possible.

I tell my players to pick up their front toe as you can see in elite hitters doing the same.

View attachment 14062

I guess the point of all this regarding the 1 foot vs 2 foot thing is..... it's both. Transferring energy from the front to back then back to front then front to back again is what creates the maximum force.

I agree with this mostly. Energy is transferred front to back and then back to the front and then back again.

I don’t teach a toe touch. Artificial imo.

If your negative/forward move are done in balance. Toe touch isn’t a thing. The mass will be in position throughout. Aka ‘forward yet back’.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Work=wins,

So let me get this straight... You are capable of figuring out exactly what Albert Pujols means in this demo, but you cannot figure out what "foot down" means?

Lol. I am capable of listening to what people say and show and duplicating.

Alberts demo is tough on the eyes. His words though are spot on. TM does neither well.

Funny how it’s my fault. When we see plenty of kids/parents trying this stuff and struggling.

Heck, even at one time AJ ‘lost’ his understanding of HI mechanics as well correct? That was the excuse they used when he collapsed at the end of his 1st full year right?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol. I am capable of listening to what people say and show and duplicating.

Alberts demo is tough on the eyes. His words though are spot on. TM does neither well.

Funny how it’s my fault. When we see plenty of kids/parents trying this stuff and struggling.

Heck, even at one time AJ ‘lost’ his understanding of HI mechanics as well correct? That was the excuse they used when he collapsed at the end of his 1st full year right?

I will remind you again, I do not follow HI. So apparently you are "capable of listening to what people say", but consistently forget what I type. Got it...