Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pq8al8oxOp1usf292o1_250.gif

tumblr_pq8ak6UuSI1usf292o1_250.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
As a prelude, allow me to provide some history. When I joined the forums, I struggled for quite a while to understand the whole 1-leg vs. 2-leg stuff. Quite honestly, I thought it was stupid. I have two legs! Why wouldn't I use them? Right? After joining DFP and reading posts from several knowledgeable people, including a few that are still around, Howe (otherwise known as 1CA) convinced me to join BBD. While there I started asking questions, and I honestly think some posters (such as redhotcoach) thought I was some kind of spy or something. Ultimately I was pointed to a thread at BBF (Baseball Fever) that helped me tremendously. I have included a link to that thread below. Be warned... It is an incredibly LONG thread with a lot of the same bickering you see on here and BBD. But there are some really good posts from Tewks mixed in. In fact, if you start reading that thread, it won't take you long to learn that this quote of yours "Like either TM says or Tewks. The heel hits you go." is completely wrong. It's the direct opposite, in fact. To be honest, the quote "The heel hits you go" is actually a very good and short definition of 2-legged hitting. Again, the opposite of what both TM and Tewks talk about.

Now, a few months ago, I created this clip and posted it to BBD. There are two important check points to watch. First of all, as soon as Donaldson's front shoulder starts going up and his rear shoulder starts going down, he has already launched. That's the beginning of it in the 1-leg paradigm. Actually has more to do with what the hands are doing, but in this clip it is easier to see what the shoulders are doing, and the timing is nearly identical. As SB would state "the intent of the hands" on the handle of the bat. Perpendicular force against the handle causing the barrel to start turning (short definition of TTB). Top-hand torque if you prefer that phrase. Now, as soon as the back shoulder makes its very first downward movement, quickly look at the front foot. He is barely at toe touch. In fact, I'm not completely sure his toe is even touching yet. Regardless, there is no weight on that front foot at all. He is launching from 1 leg. He could still check his swing from here, if he wanted to, because he has not yet reached the point of commitment, but the barrel has launched.

For other information I would suggest doing a search on the aforementioned redhotcoach. He has some really good posts scattered all over DFP and BBD that do a great job of explaining TTB and 1-leg.

cwwtLuJ.gif

https://www.baseball-fever.com/foru...g-fundamentals/72077-toe-touch-and-heel-plant

Note: One thing I did learn very early on while reading here and at BBD is that the two sides of this particular fence get very defensive about things. I have seen some on the 1-leg side make posts that were blatant misrepresentations of what the 2-leg side believes. At the same time, I have seen some blatant representations from the 2-leg side as well. That is why my preference is for posters to talk about their own beliefs, instead of making misrepresentations (whether intentional or not) of someone else's beliefs. The misrepresentations created a great deal of the confusion when i first started my journey.

2nd frame of your gif his foot is touching.

Even worse if the heel isn’t on the ground. Nobody shifts to swing. Even Josh up there.

But Tewks stuff he put out for sale has the heel on the ground first. GO A B C etc. all from 2 legs. So I didn’t misrepresent that at all. I believe your JD analysis is wrong. He maintains a negative shoulder angle into foot plant. But not a checkpoint anyway because the shoulders aren’t what launches the swing, Either it’s the hands/barrel/back leg. Unless you think the shoulders do it? I know you don’t. Right?

The problem with the old threads is a lot of that stuff was false. Or their first attempts at understanding ie how many revisions has both Gurus had since? RHC was HI wasn’t he??

Joshs foot is down before anything launches fyi actually launches after the elbow slots. Look for the barrel speeding up. That’s launch. In the true definition of the word. Once again I didn’t misrepresent anything about TTB. It’s what I said it was. Launch from deep while shifting at the same time. No adjustability. I used to teach it Tewks style. It’s 2nd level .

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When your on one leg waiting how does one adjust? If you had prepared for fast and are preparing to put the foot down and swing for that speed. How in the world do you adjust to Offspeed? Since the swing weights the front foot. Right? Do you delay the foot going down? Pull the hands back more? Stay posted up on that 1 leg? Can’t do that cuz you prepared for fast. So many questions so little answers.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
2nd frame of your gif his foot is touching.

Even worse if the heel isn’t on the ground. Nobody shifts to swing. Even Josh up there.

But Tewks stuff he put out for sale has the heel on the ground first. GO A B C etc. all from 2 legs. So I didn’t misrepresent that at all. I believe your JD analysis is wrong. He maintains a negative shoulder angle into foot plant. But not a checkpoint anyway because the shoulders aren’t what launches the swing, Either it’s the hands/barrel/back leg. Unless you think the shoulders do it? I know you don’t. Right?

The problem with the old threads is a lot of that stuff was false. Or their first attempts at understanding ie how many revisions has both Gurus had since? RHC was HI wasn’t he??

Joshs foot is down before anything launches fyi actually launches after the elbow slots. Look for the barrel speeding up. That’s launch. In the true definition of the word. Once again I didn’t misrepresent anything about TTB. It’s what I said it was. Launch from deep while shifting at the same time. No adjustability. I used to teach it Tewks style. It’s 2nd level .

Again, your launch and my launch are different. My launch is as soon as the hands start torqueing the handle, not further downstream like yours is. I stand by what I said in my previous post. What I wrote perfectly matches the video I provided. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you. Best of luck in your journey.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Again, your launch and my launch are different. My launch is as soon as the hands start torqueing the handle, not further downstream like yours is. I stand by what I said in my previous post. What I wrote perfectly matches the video I provided. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you. Best of luck in your journey.

Thanks FP.