Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Check my posts please. I have been saying all along that HI stuff isn’t efficient. And TM says it’s MLB material. Both truths (Just because I say it in a sarcastic way sometimes? Hardly a crime imo). That’s is all I have been saying the whole time. I try my best to not stoop down. RDB gets me going sometimes but he provokes me. Not the same.

At the other site SB asks for whippin( pun intended). So I give him what he wants. :)

Correct me if I’m wrong. I am a stellar citizen. 🥳

I prefer to see more posts that explain your personal beliefs and less stone throwing. But that's me... If someone asks for my thoughts, I do my best to explain my personal beliefs without getting involved with other people's theories. I may quote specific notes from certain people (as I have done with Tewks, Antonelli, or others), but that is more to give credit to them for something that resonated with me. It's not my place to comment on Rich's theory, your theory, or anyone else's theory.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I prefer to see more posts that explain your personal beliefs and less stone throwing. But that's me... If someone asks for my thoughts, I do my best to explain my personal beliefs without getting involved with other people's theories. I may quote specific notes from certain people (as I have done with Tewks, Antonelli, or others), but that is more to give credit to them for something that resonated with me. It's not my place to comment on Rich's theory, your theory, or anyone else's theory.
If we all took that stance. We wouldn’t be talking about anything but butterflies and flowers right?

I’m of the school of debate creates knowledge. Comparing, contrasting without insulting is good. Now insulting the content is ok by me. Insulting the person is crossing the line. That’s what I try to achieve when I post.

Just like the game. Don’t take it personal. It’s a game. It’s mechanics. No ones family or self.

Jun 8, 2016
If we all took that stance. We wouldn’t be talking about anything but butterflies and flowers right?

I’m of the school of debate creates knowledge. Comparing, contrasting without insulting is good. Now insulting the content is ok by me. Insulting the person is crossing the line. That’s what I try to achieve when I post.

Just like the game. Don’t take it personal. It’s a game. It’s mechanics. No ones family or self.
In academia, when somebody is writing a paper to describe a theory, typically what is done is you cite references of previous work by other authors and explain what they have done without discrediting the work. You then say what your paper is going to do and go into detail about that later on in the paper which involves giving results that aim to show that your work/theory is better. The assumption is that the person reading the paper can make their own conclusions based upon your results along with reading the previously cited papers.

May 12, 2016
I see no issue with discrediting in a respectful productive way.. even in court you provide evidence to discredit others and their claims. I say let the mud fly... but you can even do that in a respectful manner.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
As just a father of a DD learning to try and improve her swing, it has been most difficult to read these threads and get anything meaningful from them. I think I should have went to the practical thread first, but thought the technical thread would explain better the theories just like the pitching threads have. With specific positions and mechanics that are absolutes. I have posted a couple of times my DD's swings and mostly got what she was doing wrong with little explanation how to fix or correct. Seems everyone has a particular 'style' they like with limited absolutes, except for being able to explain the 'feel'.

The last AP video showed him going hands to the ball but in a downward angle, which I thought was not on plane. Maybe he was late, but maybe that is just conjecture. It seems more of a war of words, than anything else. If anything, this specific thread has allowed me to see that mostly people are saying the same thing, just not certain how to get there.

I know i have forced DD to try the 'wrist snap' (and whatever technical words needs to be used there), which essentially is the bop catcher on the head to start the barrel back down. In a vacuum this created a dump swing which she couldn't recover from. originally i assumed that her swing was too quick and the ball wasn't getting to her, but in reality, slow motion showed me that she dumped and could not get back to the ball.

When the video of the man with the trowel is shown, out of context that doesn't make any sense. I understand it is a feel, but that should be in the practical forum. Technically, you cannot show that until you state the lower body has already started and the hips have started and the torso is tilted and the hands have not started that move UNTIL you have the correct barrel patch and then you can trowel the ball.

I have always heard an A-C swing was the thing to do, but after reading these forums, it s the wrong thing, but now think that it is probably the right thing, BUT, only after everything else is accomplished. The feel factor.

In any case, from a dumb father of a DD struggling to get a better swing, i can say that this site has helped, but not until after reading and re-reading and interpreting what people are trying to say and getting thru all the negativity.

Do i wish someone could explain the swing as well as Javasource/Boardmember explained the pitch? Heck yeah, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem possible, and i will continue to read and test ques that will help my DD.

As a note, as pattar just stated, i think my DD improved the most by just starting early and slow. I also think that there is a benefit to a 'tip and rip' which helps get acceleration to the barrel when the swing is started. AS well, i now believe that there is an element that the A-C pushed me off of before that needs to be there. But that is only because of the data i saw on one post where the hand speed matched the bat speed in a Zepp demo just before the 'whip' action of the lagged bat happened.

All that being said, i really enjoy the site and this forum, and at the end of the day it really is entertaining.

Another vote for FFS if anyone is counting.

May 12, 2016
As just a father of a DD learning to try and improve her swing, it has been most difficult to read these threads and get anything meaningful from them. I think I should have went to the practical thread first, but thought the technical thread would explain better the theories just like the pitching threads have. With specific positions and mechanics that are absolutes. I have posted a couple of times my DD's swings and mostly got what she was doing wrong with little explanation how to fix or correct. Seems everyone has a particular 'style' they like with limited absolutes, except for being able to explain the 'feel'.

The last AP video showed him going hands to the ball but in a downward angle, which I thought was not on plane. Maybe he was late, but maybe that is just conjecture. It seems more of a war of words, than anything else. If anything, this specific thread has allowed me to see that mostly people are saying the same thing, just not certain how to get there.

I know i have forced DD to try the 'wrist snap' (and whatever technical words needs to be used there), which essentially is the bop catcher on the head to start the barrel back down. In a vacuum this created a dump swing which she couldn't recover from. originally i assumed that her swing was too quick and the ball wasn't getting to her, but in reality, slow motion showed me that she dumped and could not get back to the ball.

When the video of the man with the trowel is shown, out of context that doesn't make any sense. I understand it is a feel, but that should be in the practical forum. Technically, you cannot show that until you state the lower body has already started and the hips have started and the torso is tilted and the hands have not started that move UNTIL you have the correct barrel patch and then you can trowel the ball.

I have always heard an A-C swing was the thing to do, but after reading these forums, it s the wrong thing, but now think that it is probably the right thing, BUT, only after everything else is accomplished. The feel factor.

In any case, from a dumb father of a DD struggling to get a better swing, i can say that this site has helped, but not until after reading and re-reading and interpreting what people are trying to say and getting thru all the negativity.

Do i wish someone could explain the swing as well as Javasource/Boardmember explained the pitch? Heck yeah, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem possible, and i will continue to read and test ques that will help my DD.

As a note, as pattar just stated, i think my DD improved the most by just starting early and slow. I also think that there is a benefit to a 'tip and rip' which helps get acceleration to the barrel when the swing is started. AS well, i now believe that there is an element that the A-C pushed me off of before that needs to be there. But that is only because of the data i saw on one post where the hand speed matched the bat speed in a Zepp demo just before the 'whip' action of the lagged bat happened.

All that being said, i really enjoy the site and this forum, and at the end of the day it really is entertaining.

Another vote for FFS if anyone is counting.
Well said, a lot of smart qualified people on here and I'm not one of them, :). I fell in the same trap as you regarding TTB and my DD ended up dumping the barrel and being unable to recover (same words you used verbatim). Completely wrecked a whole season for her, and at times now it still leaks back into her swing. Sometimes I wish I didn't join this site until after my DD stopped playing ball. At 11 years old she was hitting the ball 200 feet. That's why I joined, didn't see many other 11 year olds hitting the ball 200 feet + in my area. So maybe she was something special. She did not have any bat instructors, the only thing I taught her was, to load, stiff front leg after forward progression and point A - B as fast as possible. That resulted in this swing.....

Now I can see lots of faults with it, but I was also told, that's a push swing, she's swings around her body, not to and up through, she's leaking way beyond her back knee, TTB, Just TTB etc etc. These are all accurate statements and I don't blame anybody for it, but, but, what if I just let her naturally progress and adjust. I always think about that. Now she just looks confused, some days she gets it and things look great, other days you can see the results of over teaching. I wish I could go back and start over.. or just observe. She had a ton of success with that swing back then. Everybody on here has been really helpful, patient, kind and understanding... but I was not good enough for her.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Just one more place we disagree I suppose...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This clip was posted here a few years ago and based on her nice clean sequence some of us told the parent to leave her alone and get the he!! out of here:cool:

qBfO4dT.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

There are various opinions concerning what the optimal mechanics actually are. In some cases, they are specific things that each side views as absolutes (could be IR vs. HE if quoting the pitching forum). But many are slight little word changes. Unfortunately many seem afraid to admit the similarities for whatever reason.

In regards to TTB... When I first started to research the term and process I tried it myself and ended up with some of the same "flaws" that others have stumbled upon. But was that a problem with the theory or a problem with my understanding of it? As I learned more I realized that it was a problem with my understanding. The more I learned, the better. I can make the same argument of AP's video or any number of others. While W=W has tried to explain what his belief is regarding AP's thoughts, a "dumb father" that sees the video and attempts to train his son or daughter to perform the move that AP is doing in the video will be in for a rude awakening against live pitching.

NOTE: Look through hitting videos on youtube sometime. After watching some of the videos I have seen, my first thought was that the person providing the demo should not be allowed to touch a bat... But I have found others that have been very helpful (Bobby Tewksbary, Justin Stone, Matt Antonelli, Matt Lisle, etc...)

NOTE / NOTE... : If you like Boardmember's explanation of pitching, you may want to use the search feature on either DFP or BBD. Boardmember was once VERY involved in the hitting discussion. But he to got too annoyed with the negativity and decided to walk away. Can't say I blame him...

Jun 8, 2016
This clip was posted here a few years ago and based on her nice clean sequence some of us told the parent to leave her alone and get the he!! out of here:cool:

qBfO4dT.gif
I am confused..is that Julray's kid or am I just missing the point?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812