Jordy Bahl Change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
What kind of change up is this she throws. Anyone else have a better video or can slow it down even more and zoom in so you can see it better.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Slowing it down, it looks like she's using a similar motion to a drop, but instead of rolling it in a 12-6 motion, it has more of a 4-10 spin.

The quality is only 360P, so it's not that clear when you slow it down.

Sep 1, 2021
I recently watched someone else talk about how they throw their change-up out of the side of their hand. It comes out of the pinkie side of the hand for a RH pitcher. She felt it allowed the arm to move in a direction that would better mask the change.
That looks like she may be doing something similar.

May 13, 2021
I recently watched someone else talk about how they throw their change-up out of the side of their hand. It comes out of the pinkie side of the hand for a RH pitcher. She felt it allowed the arm to move in a direction that would better mask the change.
That looks like she may be doing something similar.
To me that is kind of what it looks like also.

Nov 18, 2015
I’m in the “definitely not a flip” crowd. Maybe call it a backhanded change? It does seem to come off the side of her hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The hand action is similar to a palm down curve, it has side spin and might actually break a little. The fingers point down and come around the outside of the ball, the pinky is the last contact point. It's analogous to the circle change in baseball. The pitcher has to make sure that she's on top of ball late in the downswing to take the IR out of the motion and reduce the velocity.

Jul 22, 2015
Looks like the Rick Pauly change to me. I'm not sure it has another name, that's just what it has been called on this board for a long time. Java also teaches it. Definitely isn't a traditional flip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101