Joey Myers Catapult system

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Also saw this about 'tilt'

I have watched this video a couple of times and it is close to what I teach. Close but the difference is when I talk about pelvic tilt transferring into lateral tilt, the role of the hips and back leg can not be discounted. Otherwise, and imo, it would simply be spinning. Thoughs?

May 12, 2016
I have watched this video a couple of times and it is close to what I teach. Close but the difference is when I talk about pelvic tilt transferring into lateral tilt, the role of the hips and back leg can not be discounted. Otherwise, and imo, it would simply be spinning. Thoughs?
In a nut shell he's just saying the Shoulders work around the spine (properly aligned of course). That's why I strongly disagree with any focus on instructors isolating drills where the focus is to work the back shoulder down and front shoulder up. The shoulders will naturally work around the spine based on good posture established and maintained through the swing. And yes I believe the hips and both legs most certainly play a part.

The picture of your DD in your avatar for example, shoulders are titled, but back is straight(perpendicular) in relation to the hips. Good posture(hip hinge) maintained throughout the swing into contact

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So there use to be some talk about "making orange". If I remember correctly it was getting your rear shoulder closer to your rear hip as you rotate. I never did understand it and thought it might cause injury. I think this takes us to the question , does the hitter swing around his spine (axis) or over there rear hip socket.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So there use to be some talk about "making orange". If I remember correctly it was getting your rear shoulder closer to your rear hip as you rotate. I never did understand it and thought it might cause injury. I think this takes us to the question , does the hitter swing around his spine (axis) or over there rear hip socket.
I don't know about "making orange" but do know that people looked at side and back angles of MLB hitters and you can find a lot of hitters with extreme lateral tilt. I have video but it never seems to work when I load it here. Anyway, what I used to point out is that these extreme swings with this tilt could have been adjustments on balls away or in and one video does not represent any person's swing.

May 12, 2016
You see MLB'ers out of position quite a bit. Hitting isn't easy, the fact they can adjust the way they do makes them pros. That's why balance and posture are key elements to to any swing.. it allows the hitter to adjust, and twist their bodies in some crazy shapes to get the barrel on the ball..

May 16, 2019
Mike you brought him back into the conservation again, lol

He does say he has no problem with what TM teaches for a very specific scenario.. but then goes on to say how it's not applicable to all other scenarios.. JM being diplomatic here :)

Also there's this
At 11:52 paraphrasing...
"What's the worse thing that's being taught out there right now"
JM: "The worse thing is ... barrel moves the body"
"And by that I believe you are referring to TM's teaching.."
JM: "Yeah.."

There's actually more in this video that does not validate what TM teaches..

Now back to Joey Myers ..:)

Joey Myers brought him up... LOL

I've talked to Myers a couple times , he seems like a nice guy trying to help teach his stuff but he was no match for Richard and that's ok too. Sharks don't play nice with others. I'm here to learn and share, not argue about what's your truth or my truth and your correct way to do something as difficult as hitting. How many of you coaches have taught several kids the relative same way and they look different.

Back too....

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Joey Myers brought him up... LOL

I've talked to Myers a couple times , he seems like a nice guy trying to help teach his stuff but he was no match for Richard and that's ok too. Sharks don't play nice with others. I'm here to learn and share, not argue about what's your truth or my truth and your correct way to do something as difficult as hitting. How many of you coaches have taught several kids the relative same way and they look different.

Back too....
You are way to much of a nice guy to be listening to TM's filth Mike, LOLOL

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I get my niceness from hanging around Eric ... thank you Julray. I’m following the message not the messenger, although he’s always been very nice to me.
One thing I forgot to mention about the lateral tilt, by hip hingeing you can avoid the severe lean and pushback you see in younger or new to this way of hitting.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I’m following the message not the messenger
I wish posters would understand this........
EdFFv5EXsAM0m0q

Who luvs you baby........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28