Joan Joyce, the riseball and dropping the shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Here is a link 159 videos recorded or posted by Anthony Aresco: Tony Aresco - YouTube

If there is a riseball that curves in an upwards trajectory, he would have likely recorded it.

Joan Joyce is a very classy person who represents our sport well and was one of the greatest athletes of her time--maybe all time. I'm not sure I'd use the words "stupid face" with her name in the same sentence...

No disrespect to Joan intended. I will go back and change that.

I do have to wonder, however, what woirds she would have used.

Dec 20, 2012
I put little faith into labratory reports. I put faith in what poeple that went out and did it and have the strike out records to prove it. If someone has not seen one, not my problem. Like BTO sang years ago "b,b,b,baby you just aint seen nothin yet, YOU AINT BEEN
AROUND.

The steeper the angle as it goes through the strike zone, the less likely the batter will get a good hit.

And if anyone wants to say Joan Joyce doesnt know what she talks about, you need to shut your stupid face!

Well Hal you would probably argue that the 2 shades of gray are different colors. That is what you think you see, it is what your brain is telling you. But it is what those guys in the lab call an illusion. Say it with me I L L U S I ON.

white-illusion-big.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
"I do have to wonder, however, what woirds she would have used."

Call and ask her. I believe she's still coaching and I'd bet she'd be glad to chat. Make sure you ask her about facing Williams.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Joan Joyce is still coaching at Florida Atlantic U. Bertha Tickey is 90, still alive and living in Clovis,Calif. I am friends with her nephew, who is the son, of my first navy coach, Bob Petinak, who was one of Bertha's 7 brothers. The ASA women ASA national gives the Bertha Tickey Award to their Most Valuable Pitcher every year.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Joan Joyce is still coaching at Florida Atlantic U. Bertha Tickey is 90, still alive and living in Clovis,Calif. I am friends with her nephew, who is the son, of my first navy coach, Bob Petinak, who was one of Bertha's 7 brothers. The ASA women ASA national gives the Bertha Tickey Award to their Most Valuable Pitcher every year.

You take a little time out for a tournament ect... and look at where this stuff goes. Thx X for some reality to this mess...

The issue for me is that my DD watches ESPN and the ESPN3 replays... The Announcers use the word Rise. Without going and demeaning them, (as I teach my DD respect for them very successful Ladies) the delusion, or illusion or Hitters conclussion is published just about every Televised Game. For me its not blind faith, but a Hope. Plus I want to get Sluggers $500 :eek: Sluggers, does your standing offer apply to Men pitchers :confused:

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Dipping the shoulder does not get you better spin. It just starts the ball lower and allows you to get extra upward trajectory to counter gravity. Just because Joan Joyce thinks it gets you better spin does not make it so. Besides, if a hitter sees you dipping your shoulder, guess what they know is coming. Being around the college game, I see very few riseballs, although they are out there. The spin is generally not good enough to keep the trajectory going up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812