JMU - what a shock!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
Well my point is to see it play out like all the other tournaments I see where winners play winners until you have the 1 unbeaten who gains the first finals berth and then the loser of that game plays the 1 team remaining in the losers bracket.

To me you can’t tell me that the 2 teams to start 2-0, could both not make the finals. To me they should play it out for the first berth in the finals.

Oct 14, 2019
it’s double elimination. jmu won round 1. okla won round 2. now they play game 3. okla has faced 2 elimination games. jmu has faced zero elimination games. i don’t understand the whining.

Oct 14, 2019
jmu’s downfall seems to be having only one pitcher. if you have only one pitcher, you’re probably not a national champion.

Jun 6, 2018
This is the World Series finals.

To me, OU losing on day 1 should mean they have to win 3 games against other losers to get a chance to play the last team to lose for the final berth in the finals.

Sorry but there should be only one team in the finals at 3-0.

And it should not turn into a best out of 3 series until the finals and there is too much of that with the broken system they have.

And nothing against OU if they make the finals, I just think there should be a system in place to reward winning and penalize day 1 losing.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I just think there should be a system in place to reward winning and penalize day 1 losing.
[/QUOTE]
I get it and thank you very much for posting @Pigskinguru34. Good points for sure. I think the system in place does reward winning but that is JMHO. Win 2 and take break until Sunday. Day 1 losing is penalized as they have more games to play.

Just my thoughts but perhaps a better way to your point.

S3

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah I guess maybe my thing is I have 8 years plus of tournaments with double elimination and I just have never seen this format. And sorry but teams that lose early go into the proverbial “meat grinder” and in nationals can play 4-6 games in a row so to me I would play day 1 and 2 and get down to two unbeatens. Then next day I would have them start the day off and then the 6 original losers play 3 games until 1 is standing and then they play the loser of the unbeaten s game that started the day.

To me that would be the only fair way to play out double elimination and penalize the day 1 losers. Otherwise go over to football/basketball and get down to final 2 unbeaten teams and let them play best of 3 series.

And to those who say that is too hard for a loser to come back, tough, don’t lose and especially don’t lose day 1!

Jun 6, 2018
Actually have 2 daughters playing and have played NSA, NAFA, 4 ASA, 2 USSSA, 3 PGF nationals and multiple Qualifiers etc that have had double elimination and I can’t think of a single one like the college World Series format.

on a side note, I hear the college coaches crying to get the tournament lengthened out and not multiple games for losers in a day and pointing to baseball getting more days off. How many boys pitchers can throw 100 pitches back to back days? (none) verse pretty much all girl pitchers can do this (granted not at same performance level but not far off for most). I mean didn’t Fouts throw a perfect game a day after getting 17k‘s against Arizona.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I guess maybe my thing is I have 8 years plus of tournaments with double elimination and I just have never seen this format. And sorry but teams that lose early go into the proverbial “meat grinder” and in nationals can play 4-6 games in a row so to me I would play day 1 and 2 and get down to two unbeatens. Then next day I would have them start the day off and then the 6 original losers play 3 games until 1 is standing and then they play the loser of the unbeaten s game that started the day.

To me that would be the only fair way to play out double elimination and penalize the day 1 losers. Otherwise go over to football/basketball and get down to final 2 unbeaten teams and let them play best of 3 series.

And to those who say that is too hard for a loser to come back, tough, don’t lose and especially don’t lose day 1!
Not many teams have won it (only FSU?) after getting into the losers bracket on the first day so there is obviously some disadvantage (outside of the fact that typically the better teams don't actually lose on the first day).

Based upon the timing (and content) of your initial comment about your concern, it seems to me you perhaps are a bit peeved that OU may still make it through anyway after losing the first game..am I close?

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
jmu’s downfall seems to be having only one pitcher. if you have only one pitcher, you’re probably not a national champion.

This is garbage,

JMU have a fantastic second freshman pitcher who has a very good chance of taking them this far in future seasons. They just haven't used her because they managed to stay in the winners bracket and therefore haven't needed to because they haven't had to play 2 games in a day.

JMU real issue is depth in their batting order compared to other teams. They are just not as scary 1-9 as other teams so they have a much narrower margin for error for their pitchers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee