JMU Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Amanda Lorenz batted first for the Gators. Best hitter gets the most AB’s. Plus leadoff only means anything in the first inning.
Lol..thanks for another example. Will you at least agree, right or wrong, that USUALLY isn't what goes on??

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Analytics usually suggests putting your highest on base percentage hitter in the two hole, your next highest in the one hole, and then your next highest in the three hole.

This goes against the old-school idea of a two hole hitter.
So think about what a great problem Gasso has, having 7, 8, and 9 hole hitters who can kill it and get their 1, 2, and 3 hole hitters back in the box to extend innings!

I love every aspect of this game, I’ll admit that infield defense is my personal favorite, but this Oklahoma team is the perfect example of why hitting trumps everything in this sport!

Jun 8, 2016
I love every aspect of this game, I’ll admit that infield defense is my personal favorite, but this Oklahoma team is the perfect example of why hitting trumps everything in this sport!
I think it can possibly work in college softball where hitting talent (still) can be concentrated like it is at OU. I think it would be very hard to tip the convention on its in head in MLB because you are never going to have a team which has that collection of hitting talent compared to every other team.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, best hitter on DD’s team bats lead off.

I've always been a fan of the best overall hitter (avg + power) in the 3-hole. Be it men's SP teams or girls FP, I've always had someone who could get on base reliably, often legging out a double, but didn't have big power. However, with OU, who is "best" appears to be an ever-changing situation.

Oct 14, 2019
Lol..thanks for another example. Will you at least agree, right or wrong, that USUALLY isn't what goes on??
i agree it used to be true. don’t think it is any longer. every time i have coached i bat my best hitters at the top of the order. confuses the parents but oh well. why would i put my best power hitter 4th and potentially take one AB a game from her?

Jul 5, 2016
Alabama's batting order was rational. Unfortunately, Alexis Mack had a 2 game dry-spell vs FSU at the worst possible time.

Oct 14, 2019

Bailey Hemphill batted 2nd for Bama. Don’t think it was her speed that got her there.

Jun 8, 2016
Bailey Hemphill batted 2nd for Bama. Don’t think it was her speed that got her there.
Ok you are right. Nobody bats their fastest player in the leadoff spot anymore or has their best hitter in the 3 hole and most power in the 4 hole.

Jul 5, 2016
Of course, FSU seems to have a lineup of cheetahs. They put the ball in play and their speed caused fielders to make mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812