JMU Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Anyone else surprised that the middle of the Oklahoma lineup was pitched to (every time)? I understand their athletes are good from top to bottom, but it seems like over the past few days there have been opportunities to pitch around the three or four hitter and that was never entertained.

Jun 6, 2018
I still say walk the bases loaded with first open and 2 outs and you face an easier out. If Odicci gets that out it is 2-1 and she regains composure between innings.

Feb 7, 2014
Their #9 hitter had 11 HR’s so....

Yup, I totally get that, but the girl in the middle of the lineup had ~20 + ? All I'm saying is the odds seemed to be ignored ?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Odds ignored?
Pardon i haven't been following all the batting averages...is anyone hitting better than .500?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
I still say walk the bases loaded with first open and 2 outs and you face an easier out. If Odicci gets that out it is 2-1 and she regains composure between innings.
Who was on deck? Intentionally walking a batter with 2 outs if 1b is open is sometimes done. Not common but not unthread of. A lot depends on how wild your pitcher is (because you can't walk the next batter) and who is batting after the int walk.

Jun 8, 2016
Anyone else surprised that the middle of the Oklahoma lineup was pitched to (every time)? I understand their athletes are good from top to bottom, but it seems like over the past few days there have been opportunities to pitch around the three or four hitter and that was never entertained.
JMU pitched around Alo on Thurs a few times.

Jun 8, 2016
Saturday's 9-hole hitter was today's 4-hole, so who knows what's happening with OU from game to game.

A monkey could throw darts at pictures on a wall and come up with an effective OU lineup.
Their top two spots being their best power hitters at 1st glance is unconventional but then you realize that more half of Jennings hits have been for extra base hits so it makes sense since she is in scoring position already a good portion of the time.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that pitching around certain hitters can be beneficial in certain circumstances. However, I'm not sure how beneficial it would be against Oklahoma. Tiare Jennings leads off and is the Freshman player of the year. Jocelyn Alo bats 2nd and is the National Player of the Year. Kinzie Hansen bats 3rd and has over 20 home runs. She would lead most teams but has to settle for 3rd on this team. So who do you pitch around? Even if you want to pitch around all 3 of them, then you get to face other hitters like Mackenzie Donihoo who just had 3 homers in the same day. Pitching around strong hitters to get to weak hitters only works if there are weak hitters to face. Not against OU...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802