Jill/Pelvic Protector for catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2017
Helping coach a 12U team and the question of making it mandatory that the catchers must wear a jill or pelvic protector at practice and games.
Like to find out what other teams/associations rule is for this if any.
I believe that they are vulnerable especially when learning to block.
Would appreciate any comments.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hmmm...My DD has been a catcher for 6 years. No one has ever mentioned it, including her first TB coach that was a former college catcher (female).

Nov 29, 2009
A few years back there was a dad posting on here about "almost wrecking his car" when his DD blurted out from the back seat that "She was bruised down there." on the way home from a tournament.

I have suggested it to the parents of catchers in the past. Not sure if any of girls ever used one or not.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How will you check to see if they are wearing it?

Sounds like a potential problem to me.

Educate your players and their parents on the availability of such gear and let them decide on their own.

Jan 29, 2017
There is no way to enforce it and, I am certainly not advocating that coaches or umpires check but if young players are told its part of the gear and it keeps them safe why not? I realize it might be a hard sell to older players
Already had a 10-U girl get hit last year and was too embarrassed to tell the coaches where she was injured. She told us the ball hit her in the stomach, her mother told us the truth later that day.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD has been catching since she was 8. Never once had an issue. I think the question is of safety being "hurt". If a male takes a solid hit there it can cause life long damage. For a female, I think it just causes pain. Correct me if I'm wrong ladies. I would also think that, if it were required, it would be more needed for infielders! My DD has taken more "shots" off hard hit, bad bouncing, balls at 1B than she has as a C.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Years back when travel ball started my chest protector had two pockets inside it. They were empty. None padded. One day coach came up....kinda smiling...a little embarresed...and offered me two hard plastic round pieces with padding on one side. ( do i need to describe what they were for )
I remember saying "no thanks coach i'm good."
He said "ok just wanted to make sure if you wanted them"
Appreciated his concern.
Pelvic guard no thanks either.
May still be good to let players know its available.

Brings up my point about the rule that batters dont have to get out of the way of pitches. And get awarded first base. That rule used to be had to make an attempt to get out of they way. Now many ( most?) coaches say stand there and take it for the team and get hit.
I always wore knee pads to not get my knee's blasted. Helped deffensively too.

*Mandatory elbow shield while hitting would be smart. Regardless of rule book.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802